[HOW TO] Unlock WD Passport on Catalina

I can confirm that WD Security is installable AND does work on MacOS Catalina on MacBook Pro (late 2014) models!

Here’s a link to the WD security download for Mac: https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=172#ctl00_WD_rpSoftwareMac_ctl03_lbtnExpand

Install WD security and run the app. When prompted, plugin your Passport. It will then prompt you to enter your Passport password. From there, you’ll be greeted with options to update your security settings which include options to (1) remove your password, (2) set a new password, (3) add auto-unlock to your computer, and a few other items.

Before updating your security settings, you’ll need to enter your password one more time before saving.

I just did this and my passport works as expected on Catalina!

Hopefully this saves a lot of us who’ve upgraded from some major headaches!

Hi,

I followed everything you wrote here, problem is it stops me at that screen for (1) remove password, )2 set new password, etc - it won’t let me move to any other screens after this, it just keeps me on this screen, highliting the option to chose. I have changed the options and tried all of them to no avail. Nothing after this screen. Does anyone know how to move passed this to actually get the Passport working. I have entered my password a million times already

Perfect. This works for me in 2 minutes.
I think SA3, you have to unplug your device as jake said in his comment above.
I did it and then plug it when the security app is installed. then the system prompted me and then I got to unlock the device nicely. Thank you Jake for the advise.

I’m having the same issue! I did the security but its stuck on that page. I can’t unlock my drive to view images. I have an older version and I haven’t used it in years and I need to check what’s on mine.

WD Security

WD Discovery

Hi, I have followed all the above. But my WD Security app doesn’t show many options. (see above photo)

It doesn’t show up on my Disk Utility, even after I’ve checked to reveal the external disks on Finder.

I’m using Catalina. I had my Passport locked and I couldn’t unlock it because I forgot the password. I’m prepared to lose all my data but it won’t let me format the drive. It’s getting frustrating. Any advice would help a lot.

Thank you. This, did helped me a lot. It opened my HD and access all my file. :hugs: :kissing_heart: :smiley:

HI JAKE

THANK YOU. HAVE A LOOK AT THE SCREEN SHOT BELOW. I CANNOT OPEN MY FILES THERE IS A BLU ICON BUT IF YOU CLICK OPEN, IT JUST DOESN’T OPEN MY FILES.

WHEN I CLICK THE DOWNLOAD BUTTON, AUTO INSTALLED “WD SECURITY” ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN. I DOUBLE CLICKED, IT SHOWS THE OPEN SCREEN ON THE TOP.

I WENT TO OPEN THE DISK “WD SMARTWARE” ON THE RIGHT SIDE. IT SHOWS ME THE OPEN SCREEN DOWN THE BOTTOM.

CAN YOU PLS SIMPLIFY HOW YOU DID YOURS PLS?

THANK YOU
ELLE