[HOW TO] Unlock WD Passport on Catalina

I can confirm that WD Security is installable AND does work on MacOS Catalina on MacBook Pro (late 2014) models!

Here’s a link to the WD security download for Mac: Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support

Install WD security and run the app. When prompted, plugin your Passport. It will then prompt you to enter your Passport password. From there, you’ll be greeted with options to update your security settings which include options to (1) remove your password, (2) set a new password, (3) add auto-unlock to your computer, and a few other items.

Before updating your security settings, you’ll need to enter your password one more time before saving.

I just did this and my passport works as expected on Catalina!

Hopefully this saves a lot of us who’ve upgraded from some major headaches!

Hi,

I followed everything you wrote here, problem is it stops me at that screen for (1) remove password, )2 set new password, etc - it won’t let me move to any other screens after this, it just keeps me on this screen, highliting the option to chose. I have changed the options and tried all of them to no avail. Nothing after this screen. Does anyone know how to move passed this to actually get the Passport working. I have entered my password a million times already

Perfect. This works for me in 2 minutes.
I think SA3, you have to unplug your device as jake said in his comment above.
I did it and then plug it when the security app is installed. then the system prompted me and then I got to unlock the device nicely. Thank you Jake for the advise.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue! I did the security but its stuck on that page. I can’t unlock my drive to view images. I have an older version and I haven’t used it in years and I need to check what’s on mine.

WD Security

WD Discovery

Hi, I have followed all the above. But my WD Security app doesn’t show many options. (see above photo)

It doesn’t show up on my Disk Utility, even after I’ve checked to reveal the external disks on Finder.

I’m using Catalina. I had my Passport locked and I couldn’t unlock it because I forgot the password. I’m prepared to lose all my data but it won’t let me format the drive. It’s getting frustrating. Any advice would help a lot.

Thank you. This, did helped me a lot. It opened my HD and access all my file. :hugs: :kissing_heart: :smiley:

HI JAKE

THANK YOU. HAVE A LOOK AT THE SCREEN SHOT BELOW. I CANNOT OPEN MY FILES THERE IS A BLU ICON BUT IF YOU CLICK OPEN, IT JUST DOESN’T OPEN MY FILES.

WHEN I CLICK THE DOWNLOAD BUTTON, AUTO INSTALLED “WD SECURITY” ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN. I DOUBLE CLICKED, IT SHOWS THE OPEN SCREEN ON THE TOP.

I WENT TO OPEN THE DISK “WD SMARTWARE” ON THE RIGHT SIDE. IT SHOWS ME THE OPEN SCREEN DOWN THE BOTTOM.

CAN YOU PLS SIMPLIFY HOW YOU DID YOURS PLS?

THANK YOU
ELLE

After you installed WD Security, did you open the actual WD Security app inside your /Applications folder? You need to do that first before attempting to unlock your disk.

Here we are now just beginning August 2020 and still nothing has changed with this hard drive. I paid a lot of money for it to when I first bought it but now it no longer works. Honestly I think it still worked for a while when my macbook pro updated itself to Catalina, then suddenly it stopped and I have not been able to get my computer to recognize it since.

Do I need to buy a new hard drive? or is there any hope for this to ever work again with my laptop?

Its annoying after all this time for there to not be any announcements or updates with full detailed instructions from WD abt their own products.

Has anyone had any luck making this work?
Can you share full detailed instructions on how to move pass the sign-in screen or bypass it completely? I also opened the WD security from inside my applications folder still no luck, it won’t move pass that screen. As a matter of fact I tried to open WD installer from inside the applications folder and in FInder it shows under the ‘Locations’ column, I tried to open it there too - still nothing. The only new thing is some notification popped up that said ‘your computer does not recognize this’ (something to this affect) That was the 1st time I have ever seen this on my screen.

All I can tell you is what is on the box, at the top left it says ‘My Passport Ultra’ and on the top right ‘WD absolutely’ if any of this means anything. I don’t remember the exact year I bought it, I have had it for a few years now, this is why I am wondering if I need to buy a new one. Thoughts anyone?

Is your WD hardware an actual WD Passport or is it another model?

Hi JAke,

I am ina similar situation to ellie.

Since the time my mac has upgraded last, my passport is recognised but i am unable to unlock it. I have tried dowloading all the apps from the website but nothing has shown any results. Still ■■■■ on the pic below!

I even tried to get this working on a windows, but was unable to disable the lock.

Hi Everyone,

If I have the solution. You have to get access to a windows system, plus in your HD, then downlaod the wd security software and then remove password.

Once you have done that you will be able to access your data from your HD