[HOW-TO]: Troubleshooting Remote Connectivity Issues

Thank you Tony.

In this case, it is not possible to access the WD My cloud , using the Android App , without Internet connection ? Using only wifi, in a private/local network,  will not allow access to my files?

When i try to connect using only wifi, it gives error 903. 

P.S: This is not the case, for example, of Windows computer in local network wifi connection.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Tony — Thanks for this guide. Saved my day.

i have gone thru all your toubleshooting and I still an’t connect via remote access.  Everything checks out perfect per your instructions.  I even did the manual port configuration selecting various different port numbers.  My laptop will still not connect.

My iphone and ipad can connect to the device via the internet using the mycloud IOS app.  My work PC can access remotely also.  This tells me that the device is working and remote access is working.

Sometimes can see a window that pops up on my laptop.  All I see is the window title which I believe indicates something about application blocked.  But the window has nothing in it and disappears very quickly before it shows anything else.  Then i get taken to the oracle.com web page immediately.  The exact same thing happens for my two firends that I have set up to have access to a share on my WD My Book Live Duo.  They get taken to oracle.com also after their password is validated.

The difference I’m aware of is my work pc is running internet explorer version 9.  My personal laptop that won’t connect is running IE version 11.

Its a great idea WD, too bad it doesn’t work.

THIS (initial post) saved my day. Honestly. Thanks a lot.

For all those having error 905 while trying to connect from android phone via public internet , this helped me:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Step 3)  If your router does not support UPnP (or doesn’t support it correctly), then you will need to manually configure port forwarding.

If you need to configure manual port forwarding, then before continuing, you *MUST* configure your NAS to use a Static IP address.  Consult the Cloud’s User Manual for instructions.

Configure manual port forwarding by clicking the Configure hyperlink on the Cloud NAS, as shown above in Step 2’s screenshot.

In the Pop-up that appears, click the “Manual” button, and note the two ports listed. By default, the Cloud will have ports 80 and 443 already entered in the blanks.

If no devices on your network are using ports 80 or 443, then click the SAVE button and manually configure your router to pass those two ports to your My Cloud NAS. Consult your router’s documentation for instructions.

Go back to Step 2 and wait a few minutes to see if the connection status changes. If the status changes to Connected, then skip to Step 5.

If your some other network device is already using port 80 or port 443, you will need to select two different ports for your My Cloud NAS and continue with Step 4.

My router had UPnP switched off. And after having switched to static IP at WDCloud and changed port-forwaring at my router, it works now.

The manual really could give some more information about unusual issues. I doubt, that too many people spend 4 hours in googling and try&error…

Use “Across Street”? – I’m happy with my local WDcloud. To copy data I simply use old WIndows Commander or even xcopy. Locally in my own network that’s all fine. But: Could I place the unit across the street at my neighbour’s? So if my place is robbed or burnt, I still would have the data there. Naturally, my neighbour uses another (varying) IP address. I know that I can remotely access the WDcloud using WD’s plugin-type software (the black dashboard), but this won’t allow automated backups or any other direct access. What do you think? Do I have a chance to remotely access Mycloud just as locally? In the moment I just go as far as placing my WDcloud in the cellar, connected via (shaky) powerline. Fritz Jörn

Thank Tony, this guide helped me also to look at the obvious, which is which ports are configured when UPnP is enabled. I have a MyCloud 4 TB drive and it’s connected to an Asus AC-68U router with UPnP turned on.

The problem that I’ve been having is that I have intermittent remote connection issues via the 3 Android devices that I’ve tried, and they all seem to fail. The UI remains connected to WD ( says connected ), however there is no indication that it has lost it’s automatic port forwarding config. Using the automatic option may be the culprit for me, as I have yet been unable to determine which device is at fault. The NAS configures ports 9091 and 9443 as the external ports going in to the router which map to 80 and 443 on the MyCloud. This works for some time and then stops working on its own.

When it doesn’t work, the Port Forwarding log on the router interface doesn’t show the UPnP configured ports/NAS any longer. I’m going to monitor it for a few days more to see if I can determine when/why the configuration disappears. I can go to Cloud Access-> Configure from the NAS UI and just Save again, and it resets the UPnP connection then remote access works again. I haven’t tried manual port configuration yet, but will try that next if the remote connection disappears again. Has anyone else noticed their configuration disappearing or determined if it’s the NAS or their router at fault? I port forward an openvpn connection that has worked reliably for months with my router, but that has been manually configured and saved to the router.

Once again thanks for the guide, it helped me understand a few things that were seemingly left out of the documentation such as what is actually connected when the device says Connected under Connection Status. I presume the Cloud devices that say they’re connected even when remote access fails means they are connected/authenticated  to WD’s website, and not necessarily connected to the NAS! Way to go WD, ambiguous labeling there doesn’t help troubleshooting connectivity issues!

It turns out that my router has some flaky UPnP performance. Any changes that I saved through the router web interface caused the router to dump the UPnP settings and therefore remote connectivity. I have manually forwarded the ports as the MyCloud had chosen (9091->80 and 9444->443) and left the Remote Access configured as Automatic. Now I’m able to connect over the WAN every time without a hiccup. Verifying that the ports are actually forwarded as stated before completely solved my issues.

On WiFi everything works OK.
On my Samsung Galaxy S4, I get the Error “Cannot access network (900)”.
My Router does support UPnP.
In my WD My Cloud EX2 dashboard “Cloud Access” section, it says “Port forwarding connection established”.

I have gone through the cell phone checks with the same rersults.

I would appreciate any pointers on how to fix this.

1 Like

I’ve having this for months now.

I also had a pingpong email with WD support but nothing was solved. The only way for me to access mycloud is via my own wifi. Really frustrating when you can access it anywhere a few months back.

Hi Guys

Fron the outset I am not saying this is a solution to the remote access issue but here is what I did to remedy it.

I followed the steps below today and my remote access worked until I changed the server name.

Even removing the service from the app and removing and re-creating the cloud access on the server did not fix it. I changed the sequence of steps as follows:

1. I removed the service of my Samsung Galaxy S4 (Leaving the App)
  2. Reset the system in the setting / Utilities System Restore section
  3. Created a password for the user admin
  4. Renamed the server name in the settings to my server name
  5. Changed the date format for my region (I do not think that this had anything to do with it)
  6. Switched of public shares on all my shares
  7. Created a cloud access for the user admin using the “Get Code” option
  8. Activated a new service in the My Cloud app using the code

This is still working after making a few minor changes in the setings like enabling WebDAV in the setting / network section 

I am still not sure if the firmware will be set to factory settings with a reset or if the firmware version has anything to do with it. So I left the tick box to the auto update of the firmware in the settings / Firmware Update section un-ticked for now.

My Apologies to those who might have followed these steps.

This I morning got the same error “Cannot access Network (900)” on my android phone.

So now I am forced to look at manual port forwarding.

I have the disconnectivity issue very often even if my provider is very reliable, first class have to say. Thus, the NAS turns into an unusable big black box over my desk that can only handle home networking but that isn’t the reason I bought it.

I have tried all by tweaking my router configuration, the EX 4 static settings (a joke)… I bought a new switch for my network, now I’m on 1 Gbps so no excuses. My company provides me with 100mb/s at home and over 40 mb/s on the go but the NAS works when she wants to do so…

I have noticed that the EX4 only works well efter I reboot the device, so I’m suspecting that there is a problem (bug) with the software or hardware, I don’t know: allocation of memory tasks, the quality of those memories…  I don’t know.

I think the network problem insists because of the Dreambox, a linux based receiver for watching TV. It uses the same ports as WD. Is it possible? I just ask, i am away from the local network to try your solution.

I will try tonight to change the ports manually and after that i will reply

minovg wrote:

I think the network problem insists because of the Dreambox, a linux based receiver for watching TV. It uses the same ports as WD. Is it possible? I just ask, i am away from the local network to try your solution.

I will try tonight to change the ports manually and after that i will reply

If you’re using UPnP for both, that shouldn’t happen – UPnP should select unique ports.

Thanks for the troubleshooting guide but still can’t connect in the prefered mode with manual port forwarding.

I can get remote access but it is slow and sometimes fails.

I have 2 WD devices - a MyBookLive Duo and a more recent WD MyCloud. Both devices are connected in relay mode and both say port forwarding failed to connect.

I have several other network devices - mainly security cameras and port forwarding on these works fine.

So, that I didn’t have any port conflicts I have done the following :

Both NASs have static ip addresses

I’ve allocated port 50005/50006 to one NAS and 50005/50007 to the other on the basis that 50000 works on one of my cameras so guess that range is ok and my isp is not blocking.

UPNP has been disabled to avoid any conflict.

I’ve restarted the router and both NASs several times and in all sequences but still get the error and fallback to relay mode.

Anyone got any ideas please because at the moment remote access is just too unreliable and slow.

Thanks

I tried to change the ports manually, still can’t work.

I tried to REBOOT the wd my cloud device from menu and… all ok!!!

I didn’t see this simple solution in the first post! It’s so simple, we have to try to REBOOT the device, waiting for some minutes (it says “initializing device”) to take the changes.