How to transfer data from old My Cloud to new My Cloud EX2 Ultra

How to copy the whole directory from your old WD MyCloud Mirror to your new WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra using standard remote sync.

In my case it was a directory called “Photo” on the old NAS drive that I wanted to copy directly to the same directory on my new WD MyCloud EX2 (it has IP 192.168.1.25 on my network). I just needed to execute the following command once logged in to my old WD MyCloud Mirror via SSH:

nohup rsync -avh /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Photo sshd@192.168.1.25:/mnt/HD/HD_a2/ > /mnt/HD/HD_a2/rsync.log

If you don’t have a lot of files there, you can just wait until the command successfully finishes executing.

Otherwise, you can suspend your rsync process by pressing “Ctr-Z” and then continue this process in the background by entering “bg” command.

Then you can safely log out from SSH and even shut down your PC and leave your NAS drives unattended. The rsync process will continue to silently synchronize the contents of your Photo directory to your new NAS drive.

If you want to monitor the progress of you background rsync, you may log back in to your old drive and execute the following command that will show the last 10 files synchronized. You may continue monitoring it by repeating the command:

cat /mnt/HD/HD_a2/rsync.log | tail

P.S. In the web access to your NAS drives you will also be able to see some traffic between your drives at the speeds of around 3-8 MB per second (my maximum was 11 MB/s).
NB. Ensure a good ventilation and cooling of both of your NAS drives and monitor the temperature of the drives. MyCloud EX2 Ultra can manage the optimal temperatures itself as it features an integrated fan, but the HDDs in my MyCloud Mirror went up to 53°C, so I used a USB fan connected to the neighboring EX2 to cool the Mirror drives down to 47°C. EX2 drives were 44-45°C with the help of the integrated fan at 9000 RPM.
Also, you may want to disable the QuikFynd Storage Server on the target device as it could consume too much CPU time during rsync.

1 Like