How to sync MacBook Pro and IMac via My Cloud

ha ha ha I think you might be right, so maybe it’ll start working now that Halloween is over :o)
I was only wondering, is it normal that my hardware shows up twice each?
Thank you again for all your help. It’s greatly appreciated.
Eva

It’s showed twice because you installed more than one time. You can delete the others.

You’re welcome, Eva.

Hello again
I’ve just noticed that if I go in to My Cloud under ‘Shared’ in Finder, I an only go as a guest and am unable to go in under my username. Any suggestions, please?

Solved. Added a password to my username and could then log in from there too.

Now it syncs everywhere except in the My Cloud Sync folder on both machines

You could try to disconnect your My Cloud in the WD Sync setups on both Macs - and then re-connect with user AND password. Maybe the password changes are active then and Sync will start.

I never thought someone would setup a user without a password. :wink:

Please keep me informed if we finally got it.

lol I have always had a password for My Cloud but as I’m the only one using it, I didn’t bother with a password for me as a user, which is what I have now created.

I did what you suggested - disconnected and re-connected, using my user name and password but unfortunately it didn’t change anything. Both computers sync perfectly well to My Cloud but a change in the sync folder ON the MacBook does not show up in the sync folder ON the IMac, which is what I’m trying to achieve. Does that work between your two machines?

Yes, it does. Between my MacBook and my Windows 10 PC.

Could you please tell me if the folders have to sit in a certain place to work. This is my present set up:

In my Picture library I have created a freestanding folder called 2015-11 both on my MacBook and my Imac.
Under my user name ‘eva’ I have created a freestanding folder called 2015-11 in My Cloud
Both computer folders are synced to this My Cloud folder and, as before, it works very well up to My Cloud but there are no changes being made to the folders on respective computer. Is this set up OK or if the folders have to sit somewhere else?

Also, can you explain what the ‘My Cloud’ folder is used for as I thought that was for things you want synced and also what the purpose of the WD Sync folder on the attached screenshot.

Life is like a camera -
Focus on what’s important, capture the good time, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out - fake another shot

1 Like

Let me offer a little screenshot-session :smile:

On my MacBook:

On my PC:

On my MyCloud:

And the setup on MacBook and on PC:

By the way: I synced these screenshots with WD Sync from PC and MacBook to upload here :wink:

Wow, that is impressive :o) Many thanks for doing that.

As I have a quite old MacBook, I’m using an external disc to store most of my work on and I don’t think I can sync an external disc to My Cloud or? This means that most of my MacBook photos are also on the external disc as they take a lot of room. If I can’t sync the external disc, I thought I could keep the current month on the MacBook and sync, so uploads and edited pictures can be synced.

On my IMac I work mostly with my photos as photography is a big hobby of mine. So instead of keeping them where they are now, I could move them to the WD Sync folder.

It’s all a bit complicated as you can see. I should really only work on my photos on the IMac but - I do also work on them on my MacBook, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Lastly a question, do you work in an IT environment as you know so much?

I do not know if an external drive can be synced. Maybe someone else could say something about that?

Attention. You are not backing up your files with WD Sync. Example: you copy your current months’ pictures from the external drive to a folder on your Mac. This folder is synced to your MyCloud. Next month you want to copy again the current month to your Mac. In case you have not enough disk space, you plan to delete the previous month? If so, the sync on your MyCloud would also be deleted. As I said, it’s sync - no backup!

Why are you using an external drive at all? You have enough disk space on your MyCloud. Copy all your pics to a folder on the MyCloud. You have access with both of your Macs’ from nearly everywhere to the cloud (Finder, App, mycloud.com). And please do not use the desktop software. It’s impractical and at the latest obsolete since OS3 and access via mycloud.com :wink:

Yes, I work for a software company. But not as developer or technician. I am CFO there. Normally I explain balance sheets to people :slight_smile:

Hi guys, I am having a similar problem. My macbook pro syncs fine, basically I am going for a 2 week holiday scuba diving and taking photos so copying everything on to the macbook pro and then it syncs on to the my cloud back at home. Then when I get home I use the mac to copy and edit after copying them onto the mac. I also have a huge amount of photos and videos on the mac but the wd sync service does not start up. I have tried all the things above yet still the wd synce service still does not up… Any ideas would be great, would save a lot of hassle time.

Thanks

Anthony

The reason I use an external drive is that the speed of my Internet is pathetic to say the least, so I don’t want to depend on my WIFI.

Yes I know WD Sync is for syncing only, so when one month is finished, I would move from WD Synch and put it on my external drive with a copy on My Cloud.

Because of what you just said about only using My Cloud, I think I understand now what you mean when you say that changes on both computer show, i.e. they show in the folder in WD Sync at MyCloud.com right ? Not in the folders on respective computers.

You also said not to use the Public folder. Why? What is that for then?
I copied my pictures there as a backup and because I thought you could only access them there from elsewhere, But maybe they can sit in ‘eva’. As long as they are not in the WD Sync folder, they will sit there as a backup only, no?

CFO - well, if you explain the balance sheets as well as you explain about this, they should count themselves lucky to have you :wink:

Whether you’re outside taking pictures, do you copy them to the external disk via your Mac? Why then not only just copy them from the disk (via Mac) to your My Cloud when you are back at home over WIFI or, better, LAN? Maybe I did not really understand what exactly you are doing :wink:

Access via mycloud.com only shows the files stored on your My Cloud, yes. You have no access to the folders on the computers (if this was your question?).

I assume you have set up only one user on your My Cloud? If you set up more users, every user has his own private share -e.g. yours eva- and every user has always access to the public folder. Public is shared by all users on the My Cloud. If your user eva has access rights for all shares on the My Cloud (e.g. admin rights), you have access to all shares from everywhere.

And yes, if you copy your pictures in the public folder, they have nothing to do with the sync (anyhow, if setup is as I explained in the screenshot). Maybe you do not need more than this option, see my first answer in this posting.

I work with Lightroom, so I import my photos to Lightroom either by connecting the camera to my computer or by inserting the sim card. In Lightroom I can choose which folder on the hard/external disk I want to place them in. If I want I could also make a safety copy somewhere else, which I have tried but as my Internet is so slow, it’s not very workable. The folder I use when working on my MacBook sits on the external drive but on my IMac it sits on the hard drive.

In Lightroom the pictures sit in a so called ‘catalogue’, which you access when working on them. I could have the catalogue on My Cloud and thus accessible from both computers but I have read many comments about how slow this is when working on the photos, so with my slow Internet, it would not be possible. Also, I want to be able to work on my photos even if I don’t have access to the Internet, which would then not be the case.

When I work on a photo in Lightroom I first make a so called ‘virtual copy’ so that the original remains intact. Once it’s ready this copy can be exported wherever you want it. So the problem is that I don’t always have all the photos on both computers as - firstly I only download them to one of them and secondly, I sometimes work on my IMac, sometimes on my MacBook. That is the reason why I’m trying to set up a folder which syncs the photos from both machines.
Once I have finished with that month, I thought I could copy it over to another place on My Cloud as a backup, take it away from the sync folder and set up a new month there instead.

My questions is: If you add for example 3 photos to 2015-11 on MacBook, will those 3 photos also show up in the 2015-11 folder ON the IMac or only in the 2015-11 folder in the WD Sync on My Cloud?

I now understand about the Public folder, so I thought that pictures, which I would readily share with others, I could copy to the public folder and all my ‘secret’ stuff (lol), I could copy to my ‘eva’ folder, which in both cases will just act as a backup not as a sync. Is that right?

If setup is correct, the photos are on all three devices.

Jep, correct.

Unfortunately this is not the case:
If I add photos to the 2015-11 folder on the IMac, it syncs well with the 2015-11 folder on MyCloud but does not show up in the 2015-11 folder on the MacBook. The same if i add a photo to the 2015-11 folder on the MacBook it only shows up on MyCloud but not on the IMac :disappointed:

I know it’s not working. That’s why we are discussing since nearly two weeks :wink: :slight_smile:

Couldn’t you ask someone near you to setup your hard- and software correct?

I’m disappointed that you don’t have more faith in me, especially since it now seems to work.
What I did: I first renamed the folders from 2015-11 to 201511 which at first seemed to be the answer but then not. I then turned off the My Cloud unit, re-connected it with some difficulty and now it seems to work. May long it continue to do so!

Again thank you ever so much for spending so much time helping me. I have learnt a lot during the process so should you ever need any help, please don’t hesitate to ask :wink: :joy:

I apologize a lot. May you help me out now with some assistance in the german forum? :wink: :slight_smile: