How to stream via LAN istead of internet?

i completely forgot to say this:

I admit that the SMP is not hogging up my internet bandwidth, and probably never has!

But i would also like to point this out : to the ppl who said that bandwidth was a problem, well it isnt, the SMP itself cannot handle more than a 100mbit connection when wired!

Wi-Fi it can handle (up to) 300mbit, which pretty much any old 2.4ghz Wi-Fi Router can also do!

The problem i was experiencing was with the SMP itself, it had somehow become overloaded, and thus hogging up even more than the 8-10x (of what it should be) bandwidth it is currently using. eventurally the SMP became so overloaded that it completely froze, and i had to pull the power plug

I also disabled media library and cleared the media library on the SMP itself after it had reset itself.

1 of these things have made the box a lot smoother, and it can now handle any movie i throw at it, even on my 100mbit switch, and even while i use the internet

Best regards, BeefSkull

BeefSkull wrote:

…the SMP itself cannot handle more than a 100mbit connection when wired!

Wi-Fi it can handle (up to) 300mbit, which pretty much any old 2.4ghz Wi-Fi Router can also do!

Best regards, BeefSkull

Well, that’s a whole different thing.   The SMP doesn’t NEED any more than 40 mbps for streaming because that’s the highest bitrate it officially supports anyway.

… but if your PC is doing MULTITASKING on the network, or streaming to MULTIPLE devices, then bandwidth certainly is a concern.  ;)

And no, any old 2.4GHz WiFi box can’t necessarily do 300 mbit/sec…  That’s only 2.4Ghz N with specific N adapters.   Most 2.4 GHz boxes can only do up to 54 Mbit/sec.

But glad you’ve gotten it squared away, even if we’re not exactly sure what happened!   :slight_smile:

I am too!

Although i’d still like to know what exactly had happened! :smiley: But i guess were never gonna figure that out