How to stream mycloud to Vizio smart tv?

Ah, I have a new model. My refurb was at least 2014, and now I have a completely new tv. Its a E400i-B2. 

I did try the multimedia app the other day, but then again maybe it did nothing because the internet on the tv wasn’t working at the time. I sent a message to vizio asking for help about the playpoint app last night but haven’t heard back yet. And of course, now the internet isn’t working. So I’ll have to wait for it to be working again to try things… Thanks!

Ok, so yes multimedia it is. I click there and it pulls up the laptop I’m online with, and mycloud. However when I click mycloud I get the options of Music, Video, Photo. I click Video, and do not see any of my folders or files? On the left there is a frame that I can’t seem to do anything in. It says DLNA2: WDMyCloud and then shows a folder called root under that (which cannot be highlighted/selected). Below that (also not reachable) has 2 button looking things with Sort: Date New-Old, and View: Folders. On the right frame says WDMyCloud\Video\root and then what would be a list of files I believe but is empty. 

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Lin_171/20150628_155450_zpscswp4kyp.jpg

When I use the mycloud app on my phone, the files appear. 

Okay, time to get Twonky working properly. Read the FAQ I posted earlier to find out where to put media, and how to get Twonky to serve it, and offer the views you want.

I have this exact same problem (X4), I bought all new Vizio Smart Tv’s a 60" and 3-36", they all have the same problem.

I use the multimedia access from the root Viaio app, it finds the cloud, Loads the Menu’s (some times it freezes and only shows a few fiolder and has to be reset, other times iot finds the folders and moves appear (sometimes partial list, sometimes a full l;ist). If I act quickly, I can access a movie and it will play (there is a problem with mp4.files, but the AVI files will play (sometiomes the entire movie, most of the time it locks uop 4-5 minutes into the movie or video.

I have spent hours trying top get it to work with the Vizio customer support, initially the DLNA question was addressed. According to Vizio, all of there smart Tv’s are DLNA compliant. I tried using the windows media server as a DLNA Media Server, connecting it to the WD MyCloud, this had limited success and the computer had to be on to access the Cloud.

I have a Fire TV pluged into the TV, and can access the Cloud through an app called Vimu, it works, but looses its connection when it is used a number of times, and the cloud has to be rebooted.

It would be nice to access the cloud on the other computers, they do not have a fire TV.

Any new idea’s ? ? ? ?

Bump… Ok so the internet is working on my tv, they replaced the main board again and got it working. Sometimes it loses the great photo or buffers, which they think is because I live in such an old house so I’m going to pick up a wifi extender. 

But I went to start setting up twonky, and I’m confused. Going through the FAQ, I got stuck on the static IP thing because I don’t know what to set for the netmask. The first two settings were already set on what was instructed. 

Do I understand it correctly that I can only stream to my tv files that are in the public folder? I don’t have anything in the public folder. The stuff directly on my mycloud is in a folder titled with my name. So I need to move it all to the public folder to stream to my tv? And I have a 1 TB external hard drive hooked up to my mycloud… How do I set up to stream stuff like that through twonky? 

Do I understand it correctly that I can only stream to my tv files that are in the public folder? I don’t have anything in the public folder

No: whilst Twonky defaults to using the Public share, you can stream from Private shres, too. See the FAQ:

Q. Where should I put my media so Twonky finds it?

I don’t use a USB disk on my MyCloud, but I recall that it is given a share name in the MyCloud’s file system, so if you can find that, you should be able to instruct Twonky to look there too.

IP netmask? Depends on your router, and the range of IP addresses it makes available. If the DHCP-allocated IP address is 192.168.1.XXX, set the netmask to 255.255.255.0.

Or use your router to set an infinite lease time on the DHCP address it has allocated your MyCloud; that’s what I do. It will say something like ‘always use this address’.

Lin171 wrote:

Do I understand it correctly that I can only stream to my tv files that are in the public folder? I don’t have anything in the public folder. The stuff directly on my mycloud is in a folder titled with my name. So I need to move it all to the public folder to stream to my tv? And I have a 1 TB external hard drive hooked up to my mycloud… How do I set up to stream stuff like that through twonky? 

You can stream media content (DLNA) from any Share folder, public or private, that has “Media Serving” turned on for that Share.

When you connect an external USB hard drive to the USB port of the WD My Cloud, the My Cloud should automatically enable “Public Access” and “Media Serving” on the external drive. At least it does for me. If you have a lot of media content on the external drive it may take the My Cloud some time to scan the external drive.

Ok I’m making progress but still having issues… 

I can now find the content from mycloud in my own folder as well as shared folder from my tv. But I still cannot find the content from my external hardrive thats attached. 

In the twonky dashboard I added the drive to sharing, selected all content types. In advanced I clicked on rescan content folders. Back in the wdmycloud dashboard, under Media it has no numbers, and under Last update it says “Updating Database” which has been going on for over an hour… 

Anyone? I forgot to mention it in the last post, but I tried turning off the media sharing and turning it back on and the same thing happened, it just stuck and never finished. I can still find the stuff on the mycloud under folders, but not the stuff on my hard drive (which is 1tb full of stuff vs like maybe 20G on the mycloud, so its really important to me to get this working!)

That is the reason I do not have a smart tv, as they are not that Smart yet. At least it is my personal opinion.

If you are a techie, could be fun to play and figure it out. For the rest, just headaches.

I have the Amazon Fire TV + Kodi to play the media from my NAS. Love it! Long gone are the days a full blown HTPC was needed.

Well even more problems now. I went to watch something for the first time… And it makes my tv freeze up. I selected which movie I wanted and nothing happened. After a while I tried to move around with the remote, nothing. Tried to hit back, exit, etc. nothing. Turned the tv off, that worked. But it wouldn’t turn back on, so I had to get up to reset it. Tried again, same thing. So I ALSO can’t actually play the files even though the tv is finally finding some of them… 

The Twonky UI has a media browser, in the top right corner of the page (‘video music photos settings’). Can you see media on the USB drive using thàt? If you can, then Twonky has scanned your disk and added the media to its database.

Did you set an access password on the Twonky UI? If you did, the MyCloud will not be able to interrogate it to get information to display, and will show ‘-’ for all media counts.

I also agree with Shabuboy; smart TVs are generally poor, and I’ve advised many times not to bother, but to have your smart function external to the TV.

Smart TVs are generally a closed platform, with a tiny range of apps that are rarely, if ever, updated, and a non-standard UI. There is also a disproportionate price premium over a ‘dumb’ TV, compared to the cost of something like a Chromecast, FireHD TV stick, or cheap, generic Android box. TV manufacturers finally seem to be wising up; I see latest Sony TVs include Android TV.

Only this evening, I had to send an email to Sony, asking exactly what the purpose of the network port was on the KDL 40R453C I recently received, and why, although it has connected okay to my router, and been given an IP address, it ‘cannot connect to the network’; there is no guidance on either matter in the pathetic excuse for a manual that is supplied with it, or that can be found online.

Thanks, I’ll try that out. Right now I’m also having trouble where I can’t access the dashboard, or mycould from going to run /mycloud, or twonky interface from my main laptop. I CAN acess it from the software. I think I might have some sort of firewall issue? So when I get access to the other laptop that it works on I’ll look at things! I did set a password for Twonky, I thought I was supposed to. Pretty sure I did anyway… 

I didn’t know there was a difference between the smart capability and using something external. For me it was much cheaper to go with the smart tv. I bought a refurb 40" for $220. Much cheaper than the same size tv without smart capability and purchasing something additional. I also ended up with a completely new tv for the price when the refurb was still defective. I had been watching refurb and deals like woot.com for a couple months. I went with what was cheaper. If a regular tv with add on smart capability was cheaper, I would have done that. 

When I logged into twonky, it said activity status “not streaming”. I removed the username and password. 

“Can you see media on the USB drive using thàt? If you can, then Twonky has scanned your disk and added the media to its database.”

No. It only shows the folders on mycloud.

Why is it saying not streaming? I assume thats why I can’t even play the files that are showing up on my tv. How do I fix that part?

Ok so new problem. Taking the password off I think was the issue, so the tv doesn’t freeze up now when I try to play a file. But its telling me its not a supported codec? Its mp4 file… 

aaaand when I tried a second time to double check what it was saying it froze up again. 

Why is it saying not streaming?

That status message isn’t very useful. After a restart of the Twonky server, it reports that it is scanning. When scanning is complete, it reports ‘not streaming’. As soon as you first stream from it, it changes to ‘streaming’, and stays there, even when it’s not doing anything.

Thanks, I’ll try that out. Right now I’m also having trouble where I can’t access the dashboard, or mycould from going to run /mycloud, or twonky interface from my main laptop

You probably have a problem with a changed IP address.

It might be useful to read the Twonky FAQ, which discusses many of these issues.

I started a new thread about the problem with my main laptop. All other devices can access the dashboard fine. You seem to have skipped over my more recent post ;) 

What do I do about the tv problems? Like I said the files are showing now, but I still cannot play them. At one point I got so far as to get an error that I believe said it didn’t have the right codec. I’ve been unable to try again with that file, or any other file, because the same thing happens where my tv freezes up when I select the file. Then I have to turn off the tv, which will not turn back on again until I unplug it and hold the power button down, then plug back in. All of my files are formats listed as compatible with twonky. Can you even add codecs to a tv? But then again like I said I only got the codec thing once, whereas the other 10 times I’ve tried I just get a frozen tv when I try to select the file. 

I’ve read the twonky FAQ a dozen times now, actually quite possibly more since this has been over 2 months. if there is something in it that addresses my issues I’m not finding it. Much of the further along stuff is way over my head. If the answer is somewhere in there, I’d need to be pointed to the specific part. 

All of my files are formats listed as compatible with twonky

Twonky isn’t trying to play the files; your TV is. So you need to check container and codec compatibility for your TV.

Adding codecs to your TV? Unlikely. The best you might do is check its firmware is up-to-date.