How to set up WD PiDrive using a Mac?

I got a WD PiDrive over Christmas, but wasn’t successful in properly setting it up. Basically, I couldn’t get the actual hard drive to work right. The Raspberry Pi worked with the SD card, but the 1 TB of extra storage didn’t. I haven’t had time since then to try everything again, but I got around to it today. I saw on this website that there is only a tutorial for PC and Linux. Could you please post a tutorial for Mac? I spent the money on buying a Raspberry Pi and WD PiDrive Kit, but I have been unsuccessful in all of my attempts to set them up together. Virtual Machines don’t work very well with this and I would greatly appreciate it the PiDrive team uploaded instructions for Mac. Thank you.

TLDR: There are no instructions to set up WD PiDrive using a Mac. Please upload Mac instructions. Thank you so much

Hi @marcus1324

I think this can serve.

I just implement my MacBook.
Regards!

Hey there marcus :slight_smile:

I’ll look into that and check if there are proper instructions and will get back at you. :slight_smile: Thanks for the feedback!

Captain_WD.

I read through that entire post. I’ll have to make some time to attempt that process. Thanks for the response.

Thank you very much! Looking forward to your response.

Are you referring to these instructions? If not which tutorial did you see?

You may be able to use Apple’s built in diskutil but it may not work properly for writing images. Mac Disk Utilities should be able to set the drive with MBR, which is usually referred to as DOS (Usually under an advanced feature on the newer Mac OS, by default Mac typically chooses GPT).

I will check for more info and get back at you when I have more to share.

In the mean time, there are guidelines online on how to boot a Linux Distro on a Mac (it’s harder compared to booting one on a PC). You can try that and use the guidelines that you have for Linux to try to get the things going.

Captain_WD.

Thanks for your response. Do you have a recommendation for which Linux Distro I should use? And should I use a virtual machine or should I boot up my entire computer into Linux? Thanks again Captain_WD.

My pleasure, glad to help!

Unfortunately I can’t really recommend a specific distro to you, but maybe you can look online and see what people have used to do this. There should be information online. :slight_smile:

Captain_WD.