How to set ftp download with port in ex2?

Hello!  There~

I’m trying to download from other ftp server with my cloud ex2.

There is an default app; ftp download tool; that can download some files from ftp server.

It works well with default port 21.

But with some different port option, It does not work!

how can I set url with port number 2121?

Or is there any other ftp client tool?

please give me good advice.

thank you

Welcome to the Community.

By default, port 21 is the one assigned to the FTP client used by the app.  However, some advanced users have been able to alter this configuration via SSH.

Trancer wrote:

Welcome to the Community.

By default, port 21 is the one assigned to the FTP client used by the app.  However, some advanced users have been able to alter this configuration via SSH.

Than I believe this is something the WD should fix, right ? Being able to select the port should be common sense

You could suggest it as an idea for future implementation. However, a locked FTP port has been a standard for WD NAS devices due to security concerns…

Trancer wrote:

You could suggest it as an idea for future implementation. However, a locked FTP port has been a standard for WD NAS devices due to security concerns…

SFTP usually uses port 22 but can be configured to run on nearly any port.

Port 22 is generally used for connection via SSH. SFTP is just one of protocols which can be run over SSH (others include virtual terminal). In fact, the SFTP is independent and can be run even without using SSH.

SFTP is sometimes called “Secure FTP” which leads to a common confusion with FTPS (which is called “Secure FTP” too).

Generally:

SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol - usually runs over TCP port 22

FTP - plain, old file transfer protocol - usually runns over TCP port 21 (+ opens separate ports for data transfer)

FTP/SSL - FTP over TLS/SSL channel.

FTPS - same as FTP/SSL

While TCP port 22 is the general right answer, this is dependent on the fact that SSH is configured to use the standard port and not an alternative port.

As SFTP runs as a subsystem of SSH it runs on whatever port the SSH daemon is listening on and that is administrator configurable.

So why is 21 more secure than whatever the administrator chooses ?

adicrst - on the EX2, unless you change the firmware code, SFTP IS locked down to port 22.

And FTP is actually only locked down as far as using the config screen of the dashboard is concerned…but even then it is NOT very locked down. Using the dashboard you ARE allowed to configure it to one of three ports of your choice - 21, 2121 or 9921. To me, that suffices as far as giving alternate ports to configure, should port 21 be an issue like it is for me as it is blocked by my ISP.

In addition, if someone needs to run it on a port that’s different from the 3 choices offered, they can simply edit the config.xml file’s ftp port setting via SSH to be anything they like, just as I have been doing on port 44 from the very beginning. If you search on this sub-forum (and probably on Mirror’s sub-forum), you’ll come across at least a couple of my posts from last year advising how to do it.

For most folks port 21 is sufficient, but they do have two other choices using the GUI dashboard and virtually full freedom using SSH. I don’t see any issues with EX2’s choice of ftp ports. Yes, sure, it’d have been even nicer if the dashboard GUI allowed a wider range of choice, but for those who really need something beyond those 3 ports can always change it via SSH.

Thank you for your advice.

And I finally found a solution.

There is built- in util wget which can download with lots of option including port number.

In Ex2, we can’t use apt-get. That **bleep**. T T

thank you guys.