How to see the auto-video output settings

Hello,

I recently purchased the wd tv live and i have set the video output to hdmi(auto).

How can i see what settings the device has auto set?

(Is it set to my tv’s native resolution? My tv is FULL HD. Is there a way to be sure that auto-recognize it?)

cinemaniac wrote:

Hello,

I recently purchased the wd tv live and i have set the video output to hdmi(auto).

How can i see what settings the device has auto set?

(Is it set to my tv’s native resolution? My tv is FULL HD. Is there a way to be sure that auto-recognize it?)

Check your TV’s status display.

Thanks. I did what you said and it recognizes my full hd tv sice it says 1080p.

But one strange thing: In the menu my tv display says 1080p 60hz. When i try to watch a 1080p movie it says 1080p 24hz.

But i think since it can recognize in the menu 1080p 60hz, it’s not my tv but the file it’s in 24hz. Do you agree?

And also what do you propose? Leave it to hdmi(auto) or manually enter 1080p 60 hz? Isn’t better to auto to let it detect the best solution for its file?

Thanks again for the reply!

You probably enabled Match Frame Rate in the HDMI settings, which means if the WD is playing a 24fps video, it will switch to 1080p/24.

I have mine set to HDMI Auto.

you are right again!! 

WHat setting you believe is better in match video framerate? I had it on and that’s why the setting was changing. What do you propose? Match video framerate on or off?

Thanks again!

It’s a matter of opinion, really…  I don’t use it.   But then again, I never notice the “Judder” effect caused by 24p-60p conversion, but other people are very bothered by it.

Yes but if the video quallity of the file is in 24p can the player really update to 60p? Have you seen any difference between the two settings?

the 24p/50/60 setting has nothing to do with the video quality

it sets the “frame rate” of the video being sent to the TV, which effect the judder effect Tony has mentioned.

Yes, it does.  Just like any DVD or BD player does.

Yes you 're right. I expressed it in wrong words. If the frame rate of the movie file is in 24hz, can the wd player set it to 60hz? (Since the file itself is set to be in 24hz.)

Isn’t it safer for general quality of the “movie experience” to let the “match frame rate on”?

Thanks all of you for sharing your knowledge. 

mine is set to “auto match frame rate”

some prefer to turn it off and leave 1080p 60hz for all files

just try both ways for a while and make your choice.

I am on the “auto match frame rate” side because i believe that the best way to play a file is follow its own specifications. Anyway have a nice day you all!