How to retrieve data different computer

Hello All,

I have a passport drive i use to backup my files.  I though today i would test to see how i retrieve files in the event that my computer was stolen etc.  

I plugged the passport drive into my laptop.  Unlocked drive.  

NOW WHAT ?

Surely i should just be able to retrieve the files or at least browse the data but i can’t see how.

Please help.  

Hello and welcome, 

If you used Smartware to backup your files, you can retrieve them by exploring the smartware.swstor folder inside the Passport, you can also do it from the Smartware retrieve tab. Check page 15 of the manual for more information. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705057.pdf#page=19

ok thanks.  pretent i am the most stupiud person in the world.

This is what i have done:

1.  plugged in the drive

2.  opened smartware

3.  unlocked drive.

I would expect that the drive should show up as an external drive, which i coould then explore as you rightly said.  But ut doesn’t.  What am i doing wrong.

Remember, i am using a different compute to the one i have backed up from

please help

If the Passport is not showing on the Computer/My Computer window, once you unlock it, be sure to connect the USB cable directly to the PC, avoid using USB extension cables or USB hubs. You can also check if the Passport is recognized on the Disk management window. Check the link below for the steps. 

How to access Disk Management in Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 to manage hard drives