How to retrieve "all" data files - but not the deleted or old ones?

I’m stuck.  Have been dutifully backing up all my data on my MyBook using Smartware.  Clearly that is a good thing as I do have access to my data, and if I needed just one or two files that would be fine but…   how to recover from a major “crash”??  Clearly need a better solution for future but for now need help!

Last week, windows crapped out after an update (turns out it was for my video driver).  System Restore Points would not work so I had to go back to an image file from ~8mo ago.  Didn’t think that would be a problem as all my data were safely stored on MyBook.  WRONG!

How do I get just the needed files back?  Not every blasted file (including all versions and previously deleted files) but just the “current” ones??  I tried to “retrieve all” and that was a disaster - tried to fit >2gb of “data” that is on the MyBook onto my 1gb HD.  Including all previously deleted files.  Called tech support and was instructed to do “selected files” to a specific directory.  Be before I could do that, had to start over with image restore and all the windows updates…  I was told to deselect the “old” and “deleted” file boxes and then select folders.  Sounded good but did not work as hoped.  Once again, everything, including the deleted files, was retrieved.  I’m really hoping I don’t have to go through each and every folder / file to find what needs to be restored.  Any one out there have any suggestions / ideas? 

And for future, suggestions on better ways to do things?  Other than create a new system image every week or month??

Hello,

How do I get just the needed files back?  Not every blasted file (including all versions and previously deleted files) but just the “current” ones??

Note.

I order for you to make sure that you move the files that you need, make sure that you select the option to send the files to an specific folder. The reason why I’m mentioning that is because your computer is not the same since you are uploading an old image of your Operating system and the file directory might not be the same.

Now back to the retrieve.

There’s an option on the software when you are doing the retrival that says Retrieve Some Files that will give you the option to select the specific files that you want to retrieve.

Please see pages 33 to 36 from the WD Smartware user manual

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705057.pdf