due to out of support for the old WDmyCloud drives (old hardware prevents upgrade to new OS) I want to bring my data over to my MyCloud EX2 Ultra.
Unfortunately the old WDmyCloud drive is not accessible anymore with my Windows laptop after a recent update.
I hence would like to use the Syncpoint created on September 2021 with latest incremental Sync/Backup from Dec 1 (written to an USB attached Harddrive) and restore it to the MyCloud EX2Ultra.
My questions are:
- is this approach possible at all, i.e. can a WDMyCloud backup be restored on a EX2 Ultra ?
- where can I find a step by step description ?
thank you for your fast reply, highly appreciated.
Unfortunately I cannot tell. I use a work laptop that is administered by my employer.
Nevertheless, I found a solution not requiring to recover my WDmyCloud content from its backup.
For those who are interested:
initially and for years I used the Windows explorer to access my files stored on the WD my Cloud using a “Network Location” direct link.
this link suddenly (around Oct/Nov 22) did not work anymore (error pop-up)
i did not know the real root cause and only suspected it might be either related to a Windows-update related to a security feature or the out of maintenance coming up in Jan / April 2022.
the access to the WDmyCloud data still worked, e.g. through an iPad and MyCloud OS3 App , so essential single files I was able to retrieve and send back to me by mail. Nevertheless, instant access from my LapTop was not possible anymore since the links did not work anymore.
subsequently I intended to migrate my data through the initially described “restore from back-up” approach.
during these actions I came across the possibility to update the firmware from my WDmyCloud OS3 device through my iPad - which I triggered.
since the update to WDMyCloud v04.05.00-353 : Core F/W the links on my laoptop windows explorer to the WDMyCloud do work again.
i currently use the simple windows explorer to copy all data to the new EX2 Ultra device.
So at least the issue causing this thread is resolved now.