How to restore a WD My Book World Edition 1TB to Factory?

Scenario:

Useless WDMB world edition goes rubbish and wont show data partition

Drive has to be forcefully removed from unit, plugged into PC, and using a smart tool, data extracted from the XFS partition…

WDMB WE (1TB) layout has either 4 or 5 partitions if i recall…
EXT2, unknown, EXT3, SGI XFS  (if there was a 5th, i didnt see it)  and where it says unknown, thats how it shows to me!

So, put the WDMB WE back together, in goes the drive… turn it on, i get the white light at bottom of unit… After 10 seconds, another light appears top end of the display part, goes out after 3 seconds, then drive does nothing…  single green light on ethernet port, but does nothing else, and cannot see the device… 

Reset button is as useful as a chocolate fireguard, so any ideas on how i get the thing to boot, so i can make it try and format the XFS partition (now that i have my data back) /??? :slight_smile:

Hi!

I have the same problem since two weeks, no idea idea what to do! Can you send me the data of you rpower supply, maybe I changed to the wrong adapter. Helpless …

Greetinx

Gernot

Would appear its not so easy…  well, kinda can be, but still classed as not easy!!!

These units fail, simple… if you use it for nothing special, and its under warranty, then have it swapped out for a working one…

If you have a unit that has data on there that you need, then its safe to say you need to void the warranty to get your data from the drive… (and it costs, although little…)

If you want to re-use your device, then not an issue… I’m about to try and re-do the unit myself following these guides, i think the reference is called ‘Hacking your WDMBWE!’ :smiley: :smiley:

http://iknowsomething.com/how-to-fix-bricked-wd-my-book-world-edition-or-install-brand-new-disk/

You would have to crack the case to get the drive out so you can accomplish the above anyway… 
I’ll post a message if i get mine to work…  

oh and nearly 2 weeks later, i still havent had a response from customer useless support about my issue!