How to repair a drive?

I have a MB Essentials 2TB drive that is less than 2 months old.  I have used it with no problem until recently it started to stop transferring if the cable was touched.  I got a new cable thinking that was the issue, it wasn’t.  It is almost completely full and now I have no access.  I have tried different plugs on the pc and tried it with another computer.  None of them see that the drive is there.  I think the plug into the drive is damaged somehow.  Is it possible to get it repaired so I can retrieve my data and if so how?  When I first spoke to WD they suggested a data recovery program but that won’t work if the drive isn’t recognized.  Help!

First opening the drive voids the warranty. The USB port on the board inside the drive is probably defective where it is soldered on circuit. You can try professional data recovery expensive. You can try having the port reslodered or try finding another board. This drive also encodes data with that board. So moving the drive to a new enclosure or connecting internally is useless.

Joe

QueenoftheNyte wrote:

I have a MB Essentials 2TB drive that is less than 2 months old.  I have used it with no problem until recently it started to stop transferring if the cable was touched.  I got a new cable thinking that was the issue, it wasn’t.  It is almost completely full and now I have no access.  I have tried different plugs on the pc and tried it with another computer.  None of them see that the drive is there.  I think the plug into the drive is damaged somehow.  Is it possible to get it repaired so I can retrieve my data and if so how?  When I first spoke to WD they suggested a data recovery program but that won’t work if the drive isn’t recognized.  Help!

wd’s data recovery partners are quite familiar with wd products and would have what it takes to do the data recovery.  however, it is expensive.  if you’re willing to spend the money, you could try buying another mb essentials like the one you have, and then switch out the internal drives.  the new drive will have the same bridge board and should unencrypt the drive for you.  just know that you will void the warranties.  but it is a lot cheaper than data recovery.  of course, I make no guarantees it will work.