How to recover deleted files

Hi Alibabau,

You don’t need to download it, just install it with apt-get.

Hi, am trying too to get TestDisk running via SSH.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Typed “apt-get install testdisk”, error message “Couldn’t find package testdisk”

What version of testdisk should I get for MyBookLive, and I should then upload using WinSCP?  Thanks! 

which version of the firmware are you running?
some packages might not be available in version 4.
also you might consider updating the packages via apt-get update.

1 Like

I have installed TESTDISK per your instructions.

I have plugged in an external hard drive to the My Cloud.

When I run PHOTOREC it ask for input information that I am unsure how to answer.

(1) Select Media - there are 3 options listed the WD drive, my external hard drive and another. I have chosen the WD Drive here.

(2) Next are the following - please help with these choices:

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG

Hi R121567,
Sorry it took a couple of days to answer, I caught a bad case of the flue these last couple of days.
hope this can still help you:

Choice 1) You should choose the largerst partition to recover from. No point in chosing the whole drive. 
That’s number 4, all the way down on the first choice.
Choice 2) The file system should be ext4.

Choice 3) This is the foilder you want to recover TO. so you should know where your external drive is. If you’re not sure you can have a look using “mount”  (assuming it mounted correctly)

If you still need any help just let me know .

And if you feel like I helpd klick the star :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear yahavrave,

I have downloaded “putty.exe”, run it but didn’t got any response from it (Network errror: Cconnecton timed out) .

Kindly will you pls guide step by step to recover deleted files from “wdmycloud”.

Also tell me how connect external drive to"wdmycloud".

Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi amomin,

Did you enable ssh on the mycloud’s web-interface?
Do you know your device’s ip adress ? you need to enter it in Putty, and choose ssh as connection protocol.
The MyCloud has a usb port, you use that to connect an external drive to it.

1 Like

Hello, yahavrave. Your help has been great so far. I am trying to recover some files I accidently deleted off my my cloud. I have followed your instructions and am at the stage in photorec where I can select where I want to recover my files to. I thought I had it figured out but am now not sure. I ran mount, and see the drive show up there by name, but do not see anything that ties that drive to my choices in photorec? Any help to be able to get through what I hope is the last hurdle would be amazing!

Also, I am only trying to recover .rar files, so I selected only that. Also, will running any of these effect the files still on the drive? It’s only like 80gbs that I deleted out of like 3TB of files. Thanks again!

Hi akrover, 

I’m not really sure what the problem is finding your external drive. Can you cd to that drive outside photorec ?

Can you post a screenshot ?

Running photorec will not affect any existing files since it only works on “empty” space.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reply. I have definitely clicked the stars.

I can see the drive everywhere. I can also see it in the dashboard. I just can’t figure out which one it is in photorec. I just want to make sure I am not selecting the partition I am trying to recover. Though, for .rar files, I think the ones I am trying to recover are 90% of the ones I have ever deleted.

This is what I see in photorec: 

Putty screen grab.jpg

Alright, I have just now gotten to see where I want to save it to. When I click it photorec tells me “directory listing in progress” and is taking forever, but this seems like progress!

Also, another dumb question just to make sure it’s not some little thing I am missing, but I select [ext2/ext3] and that searches for ext4 as well? Thank you so much for the help. Getting this stuff back would be huge for me.

Yes I have enabled ssh on the mycloud’s web-interface.

Do you know your device’s ip adress ? YES I know it

you need to enter it in Putty, and choose ssh as connection protocol.

But it always said Connection error.

Sorry for taking a week to answer, been busy.

did you enable ssh in the webgui ?

1 Like

Hi

I’ve succesfully managed to run photorec. But when I try to save to the external USB storage it says ‘Warning no free space available’

am i right in choosing the external hard drive via /dev/sdb1 ?

if not, how do i find the external usb thats plugged in?

Regards

what do you get from “fdisk -l” or “blkid” ? They should list all connected drives. you could check which device appears after you insert the usb drive.

Recuva will find any kind of file at all, and has special modes for music, documents, videos, and emails, besides the standard photo recovery. The main drawback with Recuva is with disks that are completely corrupted. If Windows does not recognize the disk, Recuva cannot scan it.

Dear yahavrave, I want to thank you for helping everyone on this thread because it has been my only hope for recovering files lost due to a mistake that wasn’t even my own. Thanks to your directions, I was able to recover some files but the format of the files are very strange. I do not know what to make of them. How can convert them back to the original format in which they were when they were deleted?

Hi Zhora,
You are most welcome. I like to help.
Did you go over the file type settings ? You can determines which file types you want to recover.
Additionally the file EXTENTION might have been changed, ie “.avi”, “.mkv” etc. You should be able to change those back by renaming them.

You can recover deleted files from WD hard disk with data recovery software, you may see this step by step WD data recovery guide.

Hello
sorry for my English
I fail to install apt-get install testdisk
-sh: apt-get: not found
I am well connected in root on the device
thank you in advance for your assistance