How to recover data from WD My passport 1TB

i lost my data . it is not recognized by the windows or smart TV. however it offers ‘format’ option.
i tried to use free trial of EASEUS data recovery. it shows all my data but recovery is not possible till I buy.
Guide me what to do?

you would have to buy the application to recover the data using that application. there are other free apps out there you could try as well if you don’t want to buy an app.

There are multiple ways to get your data back and multiple reasons why it’s “lost”.
The file structure is usually not that hard to find for programs (what EasUS did) but getting it back can be tricky, I have previously destroyed drives in the process of retrieving data so it’s not 100% guaranteed that you can get your data back.

Is your drive failing according to S.M.A.R.T.?

If not you could try and use something like Hiren’s BootCD on a USB stick (Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD » www.hiren.info) or even something simple like a Linux distribution to gain access in some cases.
You can copy and paste or just Image the drive entirely.

If it is failing but you have access to it, copy and paste everything. There is a chance your disk will fail while doing so but if you image it and it dies in the middle of the process your image will be incomplete and useless.

If you check the hiren’s bootcd link there are also a few recovery tools on there for data recovery from bad sectors and failing drives.
If it’s failing expect it to be gone, with some luck you are able to recover it but the best thing to do is consider everything you can’t reach anymore gone (again, with luck you can get it back).

After recovery, if the disk is NOT failing, you can format it and use it again, try to find out what caused the data to be gone in the first place by retracing your steps, did you change the partition mode? did you do something to it?

If it is failing you can try to write zero’s to the entire disk (something that works for some people, for most it does not but it’s worth to try) to jump start the drive again and use a recovery program to see if you can create a functioning drive again.

If you are 100% sure the drive data was lost because of human error you can safely reuse it again.
If this is not the case I usually don’t throw it away but use it to store non essential data. If it fails, it fails. If it doesn’t you can get some more time out of it.

NEVER trust a FAILING (according to diagnostics) drive completely, even if it doesn’t show any symptoms after recovery unless you know what you are doing.

This is why people always tell you to backup, most people do not because of they don’t have the disk space for it but this is a risk that you are taking.

I hope you can get your data back, good luck :slight_smile:

There are programs that will help to check your smart logs to distinguish whether you have a hardware problem of a software issue. There is not with the word “sentinel” in it that will accomplish this. If the drive fails the diganostic or is less than 100% this is a hardware issue. You then need to determine if you need to have the data recovered or the just have the drive simply replaced.

Also you can try this Recoverit for Mac, easily recover lost data from WD My passport external hard drive

Hi,

Go through this video tutorial Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery Rated Best Data Recovery Software by PCMAG - YouTube to know how easily you can get your files back.

Hi,

For your case, maybe you can see this YouTube video : Recover Deleted Files from Hard Drive/Flash Drive/Memory Card to teach you how to recover the deleted files.

Hope this video helps you.