How to partitiion my WD20EARS SATA2 2TB drive and use Acronis True Image WD Edition

The Acronis True Image WD Edition Manual say under Disk cloning that it ‘does not provide for cloning a single partition. You can clone only an entire drive’.

I am confused by this statement.

My thoughts are to create a number of partitions on my new 2TB drive to do backups on each of my internal and external hard drives.  For example, I have my boot drive with 2 partitions, C: (Programs) and D: (Data), and internal drive E: (Backup Data), and another internal drive F: (DVD Data1) with the following size capacities:

C: (Programs)     103 GB

D: (Data)               196 GB

E: (Backup Data) 112 GB 

F: (DVD Data1)     280 GB

So, if I create 4 partitions on my 2TB drive, I will be able to backup up each of my hard drives.   Does this sound reasonable, or is there a better way to go about backing up my drives?

It would be nice to use Acronis True Image WD Edition to create a complete image of my C: (Programs) drive, so that, in the event of a C: drive failure, I will not have to re-install everything.  But the manual for Acronis True Image WD Edition says under Disk cloning that it ‘does not provide for cloning a single partition. You can clone only an entire drive’.   Does that mean that I would have to ‘clone’ both the C: and D: partitions of my boot drive together as one cloned operation?

wfeg

C: (Programs)     103 GB

D: (Data)               196 GB

Use the “As Is” option in Acronis True Image WD Edition

Then, after that task completes, boot from your new 2TB,

and modify D: as needed, using the PartitionWizard freeware:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/

E: (Backup Data) 112 GB 

F: (DVD Data1)     280 GB

Then, format a third partition on your 2TB HDD, to backup E: ,

and format a fourth partition on your 2TB HDD, to backup F: .

Backups can be done very efficiently, and inexpensively,

using the XCOPY command inside Command Prompt e.g.:

XCOPY folder X:\folder /s/e/v/d

Where,

X: = target partition

X: can also be a Network Drive.

You can help from XCOPY as follows:

XCOPY /?

For example, we add the “/l” command line option

to see what changes WOULD HAVE occurred

if “/l” were not present in the command line.

This XCOPY task can also be executed from inside a .bat BATCH file.

Hope this helps.

MRFS