How to open My Cloud Mirror Gen 1 chassis for repair?

Hello, from Tokyo.

I have been using 8TB My Cloud Mirror Gen 1 for a little more than 2 years. Recently, I find the unit failed frequently and the unit reported that the cooling fan failed and the internal temperature went beyond the upper limit then resulted in the automatic shut down.
I wished if I could have the fan trouble fixed and called the tech support for help, but unfortunately the warranty has expired and they said they had no way to help me.

It’s quite disappointing but that’s life. I ordered a new 16TB My Cloud Mirror Gen 2 at Amazon. It arrived and worked fine in the beginning but became veeeery slow in data transmission over my home network. I hope user support can help this time.

Anyway, I wish if I can replace the small fan inside the Gen 1 unit but I was unable to open the chassis without breaking the notch. Does anyone have a manual describing how to disassemble the chassis of Gen 1?

I have not seen other members of the WD Community posting said information. Have you tried browsing online for tutorials?

If you can not open the device, put a 92mm chassis fan on top of it. That drops the temperature here from 45°C down to 29°C.

Thank you for the idea. I have tried and it worked, but the fan I have is so noisy and I need a smarter solution. So I still hope to find the good procedure to open the chassis.

I have searched on the WEBs but found no description. Ah…

Akira

2016/08/30 22:35、rl2664 wd@discoursemail.com のメッセージ:

rl2664 

August 30
If you can not open the device, put a 92mm chassis fan on top of it. That drops the temperature here from 45°C down to 29°C.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I run the 12 volt fan with a 9 volt power adaptor to reduce the fan speed. The sound level is way better.

greets from germany
Ronny