How to mount MBL DUO drive in Debian Wheezy desktop?

Well I guess I bricked my MBL DUO (white light) and I wasn’t even doing anything to it, except one possibility. I was working on my Debian desktop via SSH and adding a 2nd HDD, and modified my fstab and rebooted. No human never makes mistakes, and I wonder now if I picked the wrong SSH shortcut and modified the MBL’s fstab?

However I got here this is what I have: I have removed one of the MBL’s HDDs and physically mounted in my Debian Wheezy desktop. I run fstab -l and I get this:

[quote]WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on ‘/dev/sdb’! The util fdisk doesn’t support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 4000.8 GB, 4000787030016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 486401 cylinders, total 7814037168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 4294967295 2147483647+ ee GPT
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.[/quote]

Now I’m sure my data is still happily alive on the HDD but the MBL bricked (no SSH, no web access) and I didn’t delete any files, so I see no reason I can’t recover my data and move it to a different MBL. (I have 5 of them.) EXCEPT… I am obviously going to have to install some package on my Wheezy desktop that will allow it to access the MBL drive. Then all I have to do is map another MBL into the desktop and use one of the many methods of moving the data over to a good MBL.

So here is the question I will appreciate answered. What Wheezy package(s) must I install on my Debian desktop so that it can access the MBL HDD’s different partitions or whatever is preventing me from logically mounting it?

Once I get it mounted you can see it will be a piece of cake to copy the data over to another MBL.

How do I read the MBL drive when mounted inside my Debian Wheezy desktop?

I’ve had a small amount of progress. I’m nowhere near fixing it but now I know what happened. I downloaded Diskinternals Linux Reader and indeed I did modify the fstab on the MBL instead of my Debian workstation. It seems like it would be easier to access the disk from Linux but in reality I stuck the MBL’s 4TB HDD in a USB enclosure and jacked it into my laptop, and I can indeed see files on some of the partitions. Of particular note is /etc/fstab which I was able to copy to my laptop although I could see more or less the same from Linux Reader. Here is the MBL’s fstab:

[quote]proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0

found that Access DLNA can sometimes temporarily use up to 70M of the /tmp space

increasing to 100M maximum

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,size=100M 0 0

/dev/md0 / ext3 defaults,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1 0 0

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/hdd2 ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1[/quote]

You will note that last line. If It had gone into my Debian workstation’s fstab it would have added the workstation’s second HDD. Sadly, I know now from experience that if you do it to a MBL it will brick it. It’s sad that I feel so close to being able to fix this, but the DI Linux Reader is read only. If I get write access to that HDD I could just edit the fstab and remove that one line and my MBL would be un-bricked.

Nor can Diskinternals Linux Reader access the /shares folder (partition?). Evidently it doesn’t understand the GPT file system for that partition. If only I could access the GPT from my Debian workstation I would be home free. Just mount another MBL share and copy the contents of /shares over and I’d be good to go.

I still need help and ideas so if there is somebody out there with any please reply to this topic. Thanks!

Hi, unfortunately I’m not proficient in Linux, lets see if one of the most advanced users are able to assist on this.