How to make 'mybooklive' resolve to correct IP address?

I recently replaced a defective MyBookLive with a new one (under warranty). The new drive was assigned a different IP address from the original (DHCP). With the old drive, the host name ‘mybooklive’ resolved to the correct IP address and I could access the web UI using ‘mybooklive/UI’. Since the upgrade, ‘mybooklive’ resolves to the wrong IP address (a different address from either the old or new MLB drive). I can access the web UI using the new IP address.

My MacBook Pro, MBL, and AT&T U-verse 2WIRE residential gateway are all connected to a NETGEAR GS105 switch. I’ve tried shutting down and restarting all of those devices, and I’ve also re-installed the WD MBL software, but none of that helped. The actual IP address that ‘mybooklive’ resolves to is the last IP address in the range allocated for DHCP. If I access the 2WIRE gateway via its web UI, it shows the correct IP address for the MBL. The NETGEAR switch has no UI so I can’t check or configure it.

I don’t believe this is a problem with the MBL, but I was hoping someone in this forum might know what I need to do to fix this. If I don’t get an answer here, I’ll try posting in the AT&T forums.

Hello, 

Since the router detects a change on the devices, it will assign a new ip adress to the drive.

If you would like to have the previews IP on the new unit, you can always set a static ip on the MBL.

See if the following link helps

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5872/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyNjg3ODU2NS9zaWQveEpvcU5PaG0%3D

1 Like

I don’t want to use the old MyBookLive’s IP address, I want to figure out how to map the ‘mybooklive’ host name to the new IP address. Currently ‘mybooklive’ maps to an IP address that wasn’t used by either the old or new MBL.

Does flushing the DNS resolver cache help?

I tried the following command last week but it didn’t help:

sudo discoveryutil mdnsflushcache

However, this morning I see that ‘mybooklive’ is now resolving to the correct IP address, so I guess I just needed to allow more time for the DNS resolver to update. I’m not sure why it took this long, but all’s well that ends well.