How to limit wdmcserver to only process the public share?

My WD EX4 is fairly new to me and I am going through a learning curve. I have a question regarding the ability (via ssh or whatever way possible) that I can limit the shares that mdmcserver will process. For instance, I have a user that I’ll call Jack and I also created a private share named Jack. The share Jack is configured with Public = off and Media Serving = off. The user Jack has read/write access to the public and Jack shares. The issue I see is that even though media serving is off, when Jack uses WD Photos, it appears that both the Jack and public shares are being processed. I would like to be able to configure wdmcserver to exclude all shares except public. It seems to me that the NAS is burining up unneccesary cpu cycles and disk activity processing folders that contain TB of data that do not need to be nor do I want to be processed. Any advice or pointers regarding where I need to look would be appreciated. Also, I realize that ssh voids the product warranty, but at this point in time, it void the warranty or consider returning the unit and I like everything about the unit except this one particular ‘feature’.

Hi, as you say SSH access is not supported, but I recommend you to contact tech support directly on this. 

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

Well, after about three weeks of having my EX4, it has finally settled down and appears to have processed (transcoded) all photos in all of the shares. Response time is better and it is no longer contstantly pounding the disks. While I believe being able to limit shares that are transcoded would be a great feature, it does appear that it’s not such a great deal as I originally thought that it was. We have a number of systems that backup to the EX4 (both through Time Machine and copy scripts), but any transcoding that occurs against the files copied to personal shares finishes within a reasonable amount of time. 

My only advice to users that are frustrated initially with this device is to give it time to work it’s way through everything. Once it has compelted the initial pass, it seems that the device behaves more as I expected that it would.

1 Like

jhawkinsvalrico wrote:

My only advice to users that are frustrated initially with this device is to give it time to work it’s way through everything. Once it has compelted the initial pass, it seems that the device behaves more as I expected that it would.

THIS is what I had been telling many, many users over many months and most seem to not get it. If you dump a lot of media files, just let the indexing job do its thing. It can take hours/days or as in your case weeks, but it will get done. And things will return to normal. Some folks get worried about the hard disks - but if you bought one with the hard disks (EX4 doesn’t even come in a diskless model) then they already came with the Red drives, designed to easily withstand the rigors of 24x7 NAS operations, so nothing to worry. Just patience is needed.