How to Install Bittorrent Sync on the WD My Cloud (Windows)

After the system was updated to the v4 firmware, I also get the ‘Killed’ response when trying to start btsync from the command line. Not sure what WD did to make this happen. They must have a background process which looks for programs that are not started by the main thread and kills them right away. The idea could be to keep unsfae applications from running. I hope there will be a workaround since I don’t want to set up another box just for btsync.

Carsten

Same here… Since update v04.00.00-607 btsync gets killed immediatly after trying to run it… I would appreciate anyone who has gotten around the issue told us how he did!

Same problem. Let’s work together to solve it maybe.

First I suggest we find out if this problem is unique to btsync or if ALL external programs get killed.

Try running another third party CLI program for ARM processors. If it gets killed, we can assume there’s some daemon of kernel module that kills the processes.

somebody reports that tranmission also get killed. so, it is the system.

I have seen this issue as well since the 4.0 update and can’t find any fixes yet. Can’t imagine this is impossible, we just need a linux genius to figure out how they are killing btsync as soon as it starts. Good luck

Unfortunately I am not a Linux genius and do not have a solution yet.

But I guess the further road for a solution can be found in the 2nd sticky here in the forum:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/New-Release-WD-My-Cloud-Firmware-Release-4-00-00-607-7-9-14/td-p/761150

And further in some postings refering to ‘rebuild Debian package’, main quote is this:

‘Firmware versions 04.00.00 and later use a modified version of Debian Linux which uses 64K sized memory pages.’

Thus it seems there is need to rebuild all 3rd party apps we want to run on our My Cloud, as far as I understand it.

And it might be worth following and contributing to all threads that are connected to this, not only this single bittorrent sync thread.

Or downgrade to an older firmware for the moment.

I looked for older firmware but haven’t been able to find it. Does anyone know where to find it?

I found 3.04 and tried to manually do the update and seems to go thru the process correctly but after leaving it for 45 min the mycloud never reboots and I never get a confirmation that it was done. When I log back into the UI te firmware is still 4.0 +.

Has anyone been sucessful at doing this?

Well I don’t want to risk bricking my machine so won’t be rolling back and this rebuild package process looks like a real pain in the backside so it looks I’m stuck without a sync method for the foreseable future. If someone does manage to rebuild it so that it works in this new 64k structure, can that file then be distributed to others and work for all users with the firmware or am I being stupid?

I think I would create my own NAS Cloud storage device using raspberry pi and  http://owncloud.org/

I moved away from the whole dropbox thing because I wanted more control.

It seems that I now have to build and code my own for that sort of control.

jwells wrote:

I found 3.04 and tried to manually do the update and seems to go thru the process correctly but after leaving it for 45 min the mycloud never reboots and I never get a confirmation that it was done. When I log back into the UI te firmware is still 4.0 +.

Has anyone been sucessful at doing this?

I had a similar problem. In het end, I tried using  freshUpdateFromFile.sh instead of updateFirmwareFromFile.sh and that did the trick.

Where can we get 3.04?

You can get 3.04 here:
http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-030401-230-20140415.deb.zip

Thanks, and i’m assuming this is the version that comes just before the dreaded 4.0

Have been following this thread and hope someone can help me.

I have tried to install BT Sync on my MBL and am unable to access the GUI as described. The IP address of my MBL is 10.0.0.2 and when I try 10.0.0.2:8888 in my browser i receive the error of unable to access the server.

As such, I am unable to determine if i have installed BT sync success fully or not.

Thanks for your assistance.

joskevermeulen wrote:

I had a similar problem. In het end, I tried using  freshUpdateFromFile.sh instead of updateFirmwareFromFile.sh and that did the trick. 

I’m also trying to roll back the firmware. If you wouldn’t mind going into the details, how did you get the updater to accept the 3.04 firmware package? I tried renaming it, but that didn’t fool anyone: 

WDMyCloud:/shares/Public# freshUpdateFromFile.sh sq-040101-609-20140801.deb     <— phony name

updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:08/06/14 23:15:11:version_current=040000607
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:08/06/14 23:15:11:version_newfile=030401230     <— busted! 

updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:08/06/14 23:15:12:failed 200 “invalid firmware package”

Thanks!

I’m also trying to roll back the firmware. If you wouldn’t mind going into the details, how did you get the updater to accept the 3.04 firmware package? I tried renaming it, but that didn’t fool anyone: 

Well, I only commented out the 4 lines in updateFirmwareFromFile.sh which block downgrading. After that I just did:

/usr/local/sbin/freshUpdateFromFile.sh sq-030401-230-20140415.deb

You could also try to install it via the UI, but in theory that wouldn´t be any different than the SSH method

i am confirming that downgrading from web gui works after uncommenting those lines

even without rebooting between those 2 steps

cagoune wrote:

i am confirming that downgrading from web gui works after uncommenting those lines

even without rebooting between those 2 steps

uncommenting, really? That is removing the # tags

I am neither a Linux pro but I’m trying to get BitTorrent onboard to figure this one out. According to them 4k or 64k page size shouldn’t matter and they´d like to get a coreump and terminal data by doing:

ulimit -c unlimited

./btsync --nodaemon

When btsync crash/gets killed there should be a file in the same directory as the btsync binary. 

Myself I rolled back to earlier MyCloud fw and would like to avoid redoing the upgrade/downgrade process again, fearing the risk of losing data…

Is anyone out there already/still using FW4 interested to give this a try and feed back the file created + terminal output?

I volunteer to feed it back to BT.

Or perhaps someone already knows this is a dead end… 

Thanks