How to hide private folder from other users

How to hide private folders from other users

Officially you cannot hide the folders one views when accessing the My Cloud using FTP. Unofficially, there may be a way to do so using SSH and editing the /etc/vsftpd.conf file.

Hello
How can I do that?
Please send me full details.

Regards

First do an internet search to learn how to use SSH and issue commands via the command line terminal. Second, to make things easier one can use a program like WinSCP (https://winscp.net/eng/index.php) to access the My Cloud via SSH and edit files. Again, do an internet search to learn how to use WinSCP.

Note: Proceed at your own risk!!!

The simple way is to edit the /etc/vsftpd.conf file to add the following two lines. In the example below the default My Cloud Shares; Public, SmartWare, TimeMachineBackup should be hidden to all FTP users who access the My Cloud via FTP. Restart the FTP server (or the entire My Cloud) after making the changes.

deny_file={Public,SmartWare,TimeMachineBackup}
hide_file={Public,SmartWare,TimeMachineBackup}

The above method is simplistic and would/should apply to all Users. The link below from the thread “How can I hide shares from FTP”, while for the My Book Live, should give one general pointers on how to do something similar on the My Cloud that may allow one to hide Shares for specific Users.

https://community.wd.com/t/how-can-i-hide-shares-from-ftp/58170/2

1 Like

If security is a concern, do not use FTP.
Go for SCP/SFTP which run over SSH.

Hello
Thanks for quick reply.
above two lines are working fine. But this line is not working
name:x:1007:1000:name,:/shares/name :/bin/sh (passwd file)

Regards,

Assuming you’re following the examples in:

and inserting this line into the /etc/passwd file, then I note that the ‘bill’ example uses 1000:1000

bill:x:1000:1000:,2,,:/shares/:/bin/sh

I’m afraid I’m not familiar enough with the format of the passwd file to advise: I’m sure google will provide an explanation for the required format.

Thank you :slight_smile:

The previous link I posted to the How can I hide shares from FTP thread/post provides an example of how to modify the files on a My Book Live. One will have to review their My Cloud files and either experiment or do some internet searching to find out why the code one modifies and inserts into their My Cloud files isn’t working.

Yes they were, I posted a link up thread to that particular thread/post, even though its for the My Book Live.

I was just checking that they were using the examples in your link…