How to hide mybooklive from the other computers of my network

Dear All,

Please excuse me if this question was asked 10000 times, but my english is not that great and I am not used to forums.

I have searched for days and days and couldn’t find the answer. That’s said!

I have a wifi modem, mybooklive is connected to it with the ethernet cable. My problem is simple. Everybody connected to my network can access mybooklive. I just want to be able to choose who will connect.

Now on another hand, while installing the mybooklive I have an error message, eventhough everything seems to work. So if you have a solution for that too, it will be great.

I translate from french, there is a window opening : “Verification of your mybooklive, wait a couple of seconds while we check it all works correctly”

Then the window shows a red cross saying that “you can continue the instal but you might not be able to : detect mybooklive on your network. this problem can be solved by calling, WD assistance”

Thank you for your help !

1. No way around that without filtering networks, hacking via SSH, or changing workgroups. There are several ideas posted recommending to hide or give the options to change permissions on the default public folder but I don’t think WD will do that.

2. I don’t understand the problem with the “verification”. When do you get it? After turning on the computer?

1 Like

Well thank you very much for your reply… Eventhough it disappoints me a little bit (that’s not your fault)

As I said, I am not a huge professionnal in computer and I thought that such a step could easily been done.

Without explain me how to do it, is it easy to create/change workgroup ??

Changing the workgroup fan be done in the dashboard of the MBL, under network sttings you have the workgroup for you to rename.

So if I understand well, there is nothing to do to protect the access to any files of my MBL once someone is connected to my WIFI ?

That is really a bad news :frowning:

Anyone has a solution ?

(sorry it is hard to say my problem is solved as this a critical thing for me)

Grandmaigre wrote:

So if I understand well, there is nothing to do to protect the access to any files of my MBL once someone is connected to my WIFI ?

That is really a bad news :frowning:

Anyone has a solution ?

(sorry it is hard to say my problem is solved as this a critical thing for me)

Again, there’s no solution that doesn’t involve hacking via SSH.

Grandmaigre wrote:

Sure there is.  

1. Don’t use the Public share for your own purposes.   Use PRIVATE shares.   

If that’s not possible:

1. Use a modern WiFi router that allows for “Guest” access, where they can have access to the internet via your WiFi, but nothing inside your home network.

BTW, changing the workgroup won’t do much.   All modern OS’s are ambivalent to workgroup names.

1 Like

Thanks…

I assume that if i use Private shares, then I will not be able to use, for instance, WD photos on my phone ?

Grandmaigre wrote:

Thanks…

I assume that if i use Private shares, then I will not be able to use, for instance, WD photos on my phone ?

Well, yes and no.

To use WD Photos, the photos must be in the PUBLIC share.  (Not just any public share, but THE public share.)

But nothing prevents you from keeping backup photos on private shares so they can be restored if a visitor accidentally deletes them.

look into vlans, I know that alot of routers these days support guest networks or put your machines on a seprate router from your other users.

pfSense is an open source firewall solution that supports vlaning. You can have pfSense running of a virtual machine using Virtual Box. I don’t use the vlan features myself but I know that they are there it would probably be the cheapest way of dividing your network. If you don’t mind me asking, why don’t you just set up a private share?

would adding a $ to the hostname help?

In the windows world computername$ or \computername\share$

makes is so windows browse list doesnt see it, unless specified

I think the real issue will be the uPnP broadcasts if using $ works at all