How to get Lord of the Rings (and other movie series) to display in order

Hi folks. Recently I was reading this older thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/showing-dvd-s-in-correct-order/m-p/309996/highlight/true#M2293

I couldn’t reply to it any longer so I had to open a new one. I am trying to do exactly that. I went into each XML file and added 1, 2, 3 to the titles, and then deleted and rebuilt my media library. But the three movies still display in the wrong order. What am I missing??

Thanks … Rob

Are you sure you modified the section of the XML?

Are you sure modified the correct XML file?

Are you sure you actually CLEARED the Media Library, not just a re-scan?

Yes on all counts. There’s only one XML file in each movie folder so I can’t make a mistake there. I definitely change the …  field and I definitely cleared the media library and rebuilt it.

Could it have something to do with filtering or sorting??

Thanks for trying to help me. I’m so new to this (only installed WDTV Live 3 days ago). Spent most of the time since then running CAT6 through the attic and garage to get from router to living room where box is :slight_smile:

Rob

I got it to work but here’s what I did: I renamed everything to have the 1, 2, and 3 in the name. I modified the contents of the XML file but I couldn’t get that to work as the only change even after rebuilding the media library.

So I renamed each individual movie folder and also every file in the folder (xml, mkv, metathumb, background folder). I left the XML file modified as well.

Seems from reading that old thread that I should not have had to do that. I will be ripping and populating more movie series so I would definitely like an easier way to get them sorted in the display.

Rob

I guess the SORT could have something to do with it…  You can check that via the GREEN button.

But I’ve done what you’re describing countless times… Can’t imagine what is lacking.

What version of FW are you using?

I’m assuming that since you said that you ran CAT6 cable that you are accessing your files via network storage.

If so, have you added the folders for your files to the Media Library?

Setup / System / Media Library / Media Library for Network Share / Add network share to media library

Do you have “My Media Library” set as the content source?

Select Videos then press the red button on your remote and select “My Media Library”.

You can also tell how the SMP is sorting your files.  When you scroll, if the file name displays right before it displays the xml name, then it is using the file name to sort your files.  If not (and this is the way it sorts with the media library) and you only see the xml then it is sorting using the xml.

Yes I am using the Media Library. Yes I am using Network Shares. Yes I have addded all my shared folders. Yes my content provider is defined as the media library.

This how the guys helped me on my original thread : I named my first movie The Lord Of The Rings 1.mkv  then the xml file shows  title as : The Lord of the Rings : Episode 1 - The Fellowship of the Ring

Just named the other 2 movies The Lord  Of The Rings 2.mkv,  The Lord Of The Rings 3.mkv , and they show in order and it applies to all series of movies Harry Potter etc.

Cheers

goldberg96 wrote:

Yes I am using the Media Library. Yes I am using Network Shares. Yes I have addded all my shared folders. Yes my content provider is defined as the media library.

But you didn’t say whether when you scrolled if it displayed the file name before it displayed the name.  If it does, then it means that the xml data was never properly cached to the media library.  It means that even though you “Cleared the media library” it didn’t clear properly and re-indexed the data.

Your file name shouldn’t matter because if you are using the media library the SMP sorts using the name in the xml file.

You also need to make sure that you have your sort / filter set correctly.  Press the green button on the remote, then select:

Filter - Folder

Sorting - Alphabetical and make sure the arrow is pointing up “^”

Your xml can be like this (and this is how I have mine)

The Lord of the Rings 1: The Fellowship of the Ring

The Lord of the Rings 2: The Two Towers

The Lord of the Rings 3: The Return of the King

And I have my extended versions, which are 2 seperate files for each movie,  like this:

The Lord of the Rings 1-1: The Fellowship of the Ring

The Lord of the Rings 1-2: The Fellowship of the Ring

The Lord of the Rings 2-1: The Two Towers

The Lord of the Rings 2-2: The Two Towers

The Lord of the Rings 3-1: The Return of the King

The Lord of the Rings 3-2: The Return of the King

OK, here’s what I see: If I set the sort field to Folder, which I want to do because I have three video folders (Home Movies, Kid Movies, and Movies) and don’t want everything mixed together, then what I see is the folder name for the movie, not the XML title name. If I set the filter to ALL, then I see the XML titles being displayed but then I’m stuck with every video I have in one big list. That won’t work for me since I have hundreds of home videos.

So if someone could validate that this is how it works for me and let me know if I’m right I would appreciate it. If you have an idea of how I can keep the videos split into three high level folders and still get the XML titles being displayed then please let me know. Otherwise I think I can essentially get what I want by naming the movie folders with the 1, 2, etc. to get them sorted properly.

Rob

You’re confusing SORT ORDER and FILTER.

“Folder and All” are both FILTERS, not Sort Order.

Sort orders are different, but access on the same screen.

So now what you’re facing is that FOLDERS do *NOT* have metadata.   So if you’re storing every movie in its own folder, and only one movie per folder, you’re not going to get where you want.

You are of course correct: I meant to say Filter. So then do most of you put all your movies into one folder with all the metadata files together in that folder? I could try that method if its what most people generally do. Otherwise I can accomplish what I want visually by naming my individual movie folders with the 1’s, 2’s, etc.

Rob

Main Folder

MOVIES/VIDEOS

FOLDER

Action

Folder thumb

folder.jpg or .metathumb

File

File_name (1).avi

Thumb

File_name(1).jpg or .metathumb

Metadata