How To Fix: Canon Printer Won't Print

If your Canon printer won’t print, it could be due to various reasons such as connectivity issues, outdated drivers, print queue problems, or incorrect settings. First, ensure the printer is properly connected to your computer or network. Check for any error messages on the printer display. Restart both the printer and your computer. Verify that the printer is set as the default and has paper and ink. Clear any stuck print jobs in the print queue. Update or reinstall the printer drivers from the Canon website. If the issue persists, consult the Canon support page for further troubleshooting. For assistance, reach out to live experts at U.S. (888)272-8868

Why Your Canon Printer is Not Printing

When a Canon printer is not printing, it can be due to several reasons, ranging from connectivity issues to hardware problems. Here’s a comprehensive guide to diagnosing and fixing common issues:

Reasons Why Your Canon Printer is Not Printing

1. Connectivity Issues
  • Disconnected Printer: The printer might not be properly connected to your computer or network.
  • Weak Wi-Fi Signal: If using a wireless connection, the printer may be too far from the router.
  1. Driver Issues
  • Outdated or Corrupted Drivers: The printer drivers might be outdated or corrupted, preventing the printer from communicating with your computer.
  • Driver Conflicts: Recent software updates or installations might conflict with the existing printer drivers.
  1. Printer Settings
  • Printer Offline: The printer might be set to offline mode.
  • Not Set as Default Printer: The Canon printer might not be set as the default printer.
  1. Print Queue Problems
  • Stuck Print Jobs: Pending or stuck print jobs in the print queue can prevent new jobs from printing.
  • Paused Printer: The printer might be paused, which stops it from printing new jobs.
  1. Hardware Issues
  • Low Ink or Toner: Insufficient ink or toner can prevent the printer from printing.
  • Paper Jams: Paper jams can halt all printing operations.
  • Empty Paper Tray: The printer cannot print if there is no paper loaded.
  1. Software and Firmware Issues
  • Software Glitches: Bugs or glitches in the printer’s software can cause printing issues.
  • Firmware Updates: Outdated firmware can lead to compatibility problems with newer software.
  1. Configuration and Compatibility Issues
  • Incorrect Print Settings: Incorrect settings in the print dialog can cause printing failures.
  • Compatibility Issues: Incompatibility between the printer and operating system or applications.

How to Fix Canon Printer Not Printing

1. Check Connections
  • Ensure Proper Connection: Verify that the printer is properly connected to your computer or network. For wired connections, check the USB or Ethernet cable. For wireless connections, ensure the printer is connected to the correct Wi-Fi network.
  • Move Closer to Router: If using Wi-Fi, move the printer closer to the router to improve signal strength.
  1. Restart Devices
  • Restart Printer and Computer: Turn off the printer and computer, wait for a minute, then turn them back on.
  • Reset Network Devices: Restart the router and any network switches.
  1. Update or Reinstall Drivers
  • Download Latest Drivers: Visit the Canon support website to download and install the latest drivers for your printer model.
  • Reinstall Drivers: Uninstall the existing printer drivers from your computer’s Device Manager, then reinstall the latest drivers.
  1. Check Printer Settings
  • Set as Default Printer: On Windows, go to “Settings” > “Devices” > “Printers & scanners,” select your Canon printer, and click “Set as default.” On macOS, go to “System Preferences” > “Printers & Scanners” and set the Canon printer as default.
  • Disable Offline Mode: Right-click the printer icon, select “See what’s printing,” then click “Printer” and uncheck “Use Printer Offline.”
  1. Clear Print Queue
  • Manage Print Jobs: In “Printers & scanners,” select your Canon printer, click “Open queue,” and clear any pending print jobs.
  • Restart Print Spooler Service: On Windows, open the “Run” dialog (Win + R), type services.msc, find “Print Spooler,” right-click, and select “Restart.”
  1. Check for Hardware Issues
  • Check Ink or Toner Levels: Ensure there is enough ink or toner in the printer cartridges.
  • Resolve Paper Jams: Open the printer and carefully remove any jammed paper.
  • Load Paper: Ensure there is paper loaded in the tray.
  1. Update Firmware
  • Update Printer Firmware: Visit the Canon support website to check for and install the latest firmware updates for your printer model.
  1. Adjust Print Settings
  • Correct Print Settings: Ensure the print settings in your application are correct (e.g., paper size, print quality, color options).
  • Check Compatibility: Ensure the printer is compatible with the operating system and applications you are using.
  1. Run Troubleshooter
  • Windows Troubleshooter: Go to “Settings” > “Update & Security” > “Troubleshoot,” select “Printer,” and run the troubleshooter to detect and fix any issues.
  • Mac Printer Diagnostic: On macOS, go to “System Preferences” > “Printers & Scanners,” select your Canon printer, and use the diagnostic tools available.

Additional Tips

• Consult Printer Manual: Refer to the Canon printer manual for model-specific troubleshooting steps.
  • Contact Support: If the issue persists, contact Canon support for further assistance.
  • Check Online Forums: Look for solutions on online forums and communities where other users might have faced and resolved similar issues.

By systematically going through these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue preventing your Canon printer from printing.

How To Fix the Canon Printer Won’t Print

If your Canon printer won’t print, follow these comprehensive steps to troubleshoot and fix the issue:

1. Check Connections

• Ensure Proper Connection: Make sure the printer is connected to your computer or network. For wired connections, check that the USB or Ethernet cable is securely plugged in. For wireless connections, verify that the printer is connected to the correct Wi-Fi network.
  • Move Closer to Router: If using Wi-Fi, ensure the printer is within range of the router to avoid weak signal issues.

2. Restart Devices

• Restart Printer and Computer: Turn off the printer and computer. Wait for a minute, then turn them back on to refresh the connection.
  • Reset Network Devices: Restart the router and any network switches to clear potential network issues.

3. Set as Default Printer and Check Offline Mode

• Set as Default Printer: On Windows, go to “Settings” > “Devices” > “Printers & scanners,” select your Canon printer, and click “Set as default.” On macOS, go to “System Preferences” > “Printers & Scanners” and set the Canon printer as default.
  • Disable Offline Mode: Right-click the printer icon, select “See what’s printing,” then click “Printer” and uncheck “Use Printer Offline.”

4. Clear Print Queue

• Manage Print Jobs: In “Printers & scanners,” select your Canon printer, click “Open queue,” and clear any pending print jobs.
  • Restart Print Spooler Service: On Windows, open the “Run” dialog (Win + R), type services.msc, find “Print Spooler,” right-click, and select “Restart.”

5. Update or Reinstall Drivers

• Download Latest Drivers: Visit the Canon support website to download and install the latest drivers for your printer model.
  • Reinstall Drivers: Uninstall existing printer drivers from the Device Manager on Windows or the Printers & Scanners section on macOS, then reinstall the latest version from the Canon website.

6. Check for Hardware Issues

• Check Ink or Toner Levels: Ensure there is enough ink or toner in the cartridges. Replace any empty or low cartridges.
  • Resolve Paper Jams: Open the printer and carefully remove any jammed paper. Follow the printer’s manual for specific instructions on clearing jams.
  • Load Paper: Ensure there is paper loaded in the tray and that it is correctly aligned.

7. Update Firmware

• Update Printer Firmware: Visit the Canon support website to check for and install the latest firmware updates for your printer model.

8. Adjust Print Settings

• Correct Print Settings: Ensure the print settings in your application are correct (e.g., paper size, print quality, color options).
  • Check Compatibility: Ensure the printer is compatible with the operating system and applications you are using.

9. Run Troubleshooter

• Windows Troubleshooter: Go to “Settings” > “Update & Security” > “Troubleshoot,” select “Printer,” and run the troubleshooter to detect and fix any issues.
  • Mac Printer Diagnostic: On macOS, go to “System Preferences” > “Printers & Scanners,” select your Canon printer, and use the diagnostic tools available.

10. Check Firewall and Antivirus Settings

• Allow Printer Through Firewall: Ensure your firewall is not blocking the printer. Go to “Settings” > “Update & Security” > “Windows Security” > “Firewall & network protection” > “Allow an app through firewall” and ensure your printer is allowed.
  • Check Antivirus Software: Ensure your antivirus software is not blocking the printer. Add the printer to the list of trusted devices if necessary.

Additional Tips

• Consult Printer Manual: Refer to the Canon printer manual for model-specific troubleshooting steps.
  • Contact Support: If the issue persists, contact Canon support for further assistance.
  • Check Online Forums: Look for solutions on online forums and communities where other users might have faced and resolved similar issues.

By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and resolve the issue preventing your Canon printer from printing.

FAQs on Canon Printer Won’t Print and Canon Printer Not Printing

Q1: Why is my Canon printer not printing?

A1: Your Canon printer might not be printing due to several reasons, such as connectivity issues, outdated or corrupted drivers, incorrect printer settings, print queue problems, low ink or toner levels, paper jams, or hardware malfunctions.

Q2: How can I check if my Canon printer is properly connected?

A2: Ensure that the printer is turned on and connected to the same network as your computer. For wired connections, check that the USB or Ethernet cable is securely plugged in. For wireless connections, make sure the printer is connected to the correct Wi-Fi network.

Q3: What should I do if my Canon printer shows as offline?

A3: If your Canon printer is offline:

1. Ensure the printer is turned on.
  2. Check the printer’s network connection.
  3. Set the printer as the default printer in your computer’s settings.
  4. Disable the “Use Printer Offline” option in the printer settings.
  5. Restart your printer and computer.

Q4: How can I update or reinstall Canon printer drivers?

A4: To update or reinstall Canon printer drivers:

1. Visit the Canon support website.
  2. Download the latest drivers for your printer model.
  3. Uninstall the existing drivers from your computer.
  4. Install the downloaded drivers and restart your computer.

Q5: What should I do if there are stuck print jobs in the queue?

A5: To clear stuck print jobs:

1. Open the print queue on your computer.
  2. Select and cancel all pending print jobs.
  3. Restart the print spooler service on Windows (Run services.msc, find “Print Spooler,” right-click, and select “Restart”).

Q6: How can I resolve paper jams in my Canon printer?

A6: To resolve paper jams:

1. Turn off the printer.
  2. Open the printer cover and carefully remove any jammed paper.
  3. Ensure there are no torn pieces of paper left inside.
  4. Reload the paper tray and ensure the paper is correctly aligned.

Q7: Why is my Canon printer printing blank pages?

A7: Your Canon printer might be printing blank pages due to low ink or toner levels, clogged printheads, incorrect print settings, or driver issues. Check and replace ink or toner cartridges if necessary, clean the printheads, and ensure correct print settings.

Q8: How do I set my Canon printer as the default printer?

A8: To set your Canon printer as the default printer:

• On Windows: Go to “Settings” > “Devices” > “Printers & scanners,” select your Canon printer, and click “Set as default.”
  • On macOS: Go to “System Preferences” > “Printers & Scanners” and set the Canon printer as default.

Q9: What should I do if my Canon printer has low ink or toner?

A9: If your printer has low ink or toner:

1. Check the ink or toner levels in the printer settings or on the printer display.
  2. Replace any empty or low cartridges with new ones.
  3. Perform a printhead cleaning if necessary.

Q10: How can I update my Canon printer’s firmware?

A10: To update the firmware:

1. Visit the Canon support website.
  2. Download the latest firmware for your printer model.
  3. Follow the instructions provided to install the firmware update.

Q11: What can I do if my Canon printer is not responding after a software update?

A11: If your printer is not responding after a software update:

1. Restart your printer and computer.
  2. Ensure the printer drivers are updated.
  3. Check for compatibility issues with the new software.
  4. Reset the printer to factory settings if necessary.

Q12: How do I run a printer troubleshooter on Windows?

A12: To run a printer troubleshooter:

1. Go to “Settings” > “Update & Security” > “Troubleshoot.”
  2. Select “Printer” and run the troubleshooter to detect and fix any issues.

Q13: How do I resolve firewall or antivirus blocking my Canon printer?

A13: To resolve firewall or antivirus issues:

1. Allow the printer through your firewall settings (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Firewall & network protection > Allow an app through firewall).
  2. Ensure your antivirus software is not blocking the printer. Add the printer to the list of trusted devices if necessary.

By addressing these frequently asked questions, you can troubleshoot and resolve common issues that might prevent your Canon printer from printing. If the problem persists, consider consulting the Canon support website or contacting their customer service for further assistance.