How to disable Auto Turn on function - wish list in next Firmware update

Hi Team, 

My device has Auto trun on Function , whenever there is power failure. It’s not good. Can you please put an option in settings to disble auto power on function after Power restore. You just need to send signal to Micro processer. and do few lines of coding. 

Thanks in advance. 

Shouldn’t you be unplugging sensitive electronics before a storm, anyways?

Genrally if i go out , i switch off the main plug. But suppose i forget or i m watching or i m away, and there is power failure … then device get turn on automatically . If we get options to disable it. won’t that be good ?

It’s not possible. The CPU is unpowered when turned off on all live Plusses and most newer Lives.

I think it is safe to say that when you unplug a device, the CPU is not powered.  :smiley:

Most every device stays off when you first plug in the AC. The WD boxes are one of the few devices that are on when you plug them in. Why can’t they work like everything else does?

Agreed. Most devices have the options:

1 - Turn on after power outage

2 - Remain off after power outage

3 - Restore last state after power outage

If it can’t be added to the menu, I’d like to see option 3 implemented as a default.

1 Like

How many times does this topic have to be ressurected from the dead.

It was a hardware design decision that the device functions the way it does.

All of my Tv’s do the same thing when power is restored. They power-up into standby mode just like the WDTV does. I.E. waiting for you to tell them to do something. My router, my DSL modem, etc, etc all do the same thing.

The WDTV Live and Live+ can act as a NAS and I find it very helpful that it functions the way it does. I have another NAS device that does not do this and  it is a PIA to remember to go and start it up after a power failure which I have had a lot of lately.

So the way WDTV works is the the way I want it. They made the right hardware decision for me. Others may disagree, but we all have our own opimions.

parnott100 wrote:

How many times does this topic have to be ressurected from the dead.

…

So the way WDTV works is the the way I want it. They made the right hardware decision for me. Others may disagree, but we all have our own opimions.

Exactly. If it became an OPTION, then everyone would be happy, not just you.

@ parnott100

If you need NAS fascilty , pl go and buy addonics Nas 3.0 . which is cheap and best in market. WDTV is media player and i am not bothered about you fidiling with box and putting wdlxtv for using NAS . 

thanks

parnott100 wrote:

All of my Tv’s do the same thing when power is restored. They power-up into standby mode just like the WDTV does. I.E. waiting for you to tell them to do something. My router, my DSL modem, etc, etc all do the same thing.

Most all TVs are not on when you plug in the AC power. They may be in standby mode, but they are not on. Virtually all TVs are in standby mode when you power them off, and that is how they come up when you plug them in. That is not the same thing as the WD. The WD is on, not in standby mode, when the AC power is applied. That is the opposite of how almost every device in existence works. That may be WDs design decision, but you have to admit that it is not the norm.

Wholeheartedly supporting your point!

Guys, it’s a dead horse.

When your TV is plugged in, it is in STANDBY mode.   It is drawing power, and the CPU and operating system are running.)

When the WDTV Lives are turned off, they are dead rocks.   The only current is the “vampire” current leaked by the power supply, and a small trickle current controlling the IR receiver.

Even the CLOCK in these things now have a BATTERY because they clock is otherwise unpowered when the device is turned off.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Ability-to-disable-auto-power-on-when-WDTV-LIVE-is-plugged-in/m-p/117310/message-uid/117310/highlight/true#U117310

I realize that this is a dead horse in the sense that WD will never change this behavior, but they can change this if they wanted to. Just because the CPU and everything else is powered off, you can still make it turn itself off after the AC is plugged in. Believe me, it can be done (I have done this with many devices that I have designed).

I know it will never be changed but I still like to post my honest opinion.

Whatever you’re saying, TonyPh.

When I plug in my tv, a little LED comes on and the TV is in standby.

When I plug in my computer, it is in standby (S5, but whatever)

When I plug in the WDTV live, it boots up and remains on.

That’s all that’s been said and the behaviour is annoying.

That’s all that’s been said and the behaviour is annoying.

No, people are demanding that WD change the firmware to address it.  All I am saying is that it very likely CANNOT be changed in FIRMWARE.   It’s a HARDWARE DESIGN function.

Just to clear this:

Of course, I didn’t mean anybody’s (or your) behaviour, I meant the behavour of the device.

Apart from that, do we have any word fom WD that it is a hardware issue?

Whatever, I don’t want to start another discussion.