How to detect faulty drive in raid 1

Hi,

I’ve got a My Book NAS (WD15000D033). And I configured it to RAID 1. The blue rings started flashing yesterday. I checked the user manual which says it means “RAID degraded mode” and I need to replace the faulty drive in RAID. But I don’t know which drive is faulty, would someone know how to detect the faulty drive?

Many thanks in advance.

Chen

If you log into the user interface,    “name of drive”  without the quotes in the address bar of your browser it should open the shared storage manager.  It should tell you in the upper right hand corner of the interface (if not reboot the unit).  Once identified Drive A or Drive B, power down the unit and follow the instructions below to open the enclosure.   The drives are marked.  Then just create an RMA on WD’s site for the Drive not your entire enclosure.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1464

just a side note, if you get an error creating the rma about warranty if you know your unit is still in warranty send wd an email and ask them to update the warranty on your internal drove for a MBW (blue ring) and they should take care of it.  just make sure to include the serial number of your unit so they can verify the correct warranty that should be on the internal.

What if I cannot access my user interface whether I enter the “name of the drive” or the IP address of the unit. Either way I can’t seem to get to the shared storage manger. Any help?

Thanks.

There are a few things that can cause this, but can you provide more infromation

Have you ever been able to access the drive?

Does it show up with the Discovery tool?

Are you on the same logical network?

If it was working before and now its not, I would look at what may have changed?  Did a firewall or antivirus update or something else of that nature.

If nothing has changed, then you might want to do a reset of the unit by pressing and holding the reset button on the back for about 15 seconds.

If you comfortable with hardware, you may even want to check your routers DHCP client list and see if it shows there.

I was able to access the drive and the shared storage manager no problems, until a little while ago, when all of a sudden I couldn’t access anything. I don’t have the Discovery tool, I think that is with the white light version and I have the blue ring version. What I did do was open the box, hooked up the drives to my desktop and they both appeared to be fine. So then I put them back in the case and only plugged one drive in at a time, and then I was able to access all my info but still not the shared storage manager, so I backed everything up at this time. During all of this, I noticed that the Drive A wasn’t working 100%, sometimes it was touch and go. So I figured a faulty drive and went out and bought a new drive.

Since my last post I installed the new drive in slot A, hooked everything up, plugged it in, and the drives seemed to work fine, but I still couldn’t access shared storage manager. Then I did the reset on the back of the unit, and now I can get into the shared storage manager.

But now it seems like I have a new problem. When I went into the Drive Management to format the new drive, I followed the couple of questions it asks you, and then it said this:

“The drive is currently busy. Please stop using all shares and try again.”

And I’m not accessing the drive. Any idea why it would say this or how to stop the drive?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry for the confusion.  My bad, I assumed this was a white light.  You are correct that the discovery tool will only work on Whitelight and SS versions.

Any how, here is a link that may help with the Busy issue.  I know if for a firmware update, but it does address a similar issue with drive being busy.  Give it a try.  Concerning the poor performance this may be because only 1 drive is currently working correctly and the unit is trying to run redundancy.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2504

I am having a similar issue but in the upper right corner of my storage manager it  has “Synchronizing” then the rings start alternate flashing before it tells me which drive is faulty.

Is there another way to determine which drive is faulty?

Sync means that the drives are doing just that.  But what concerns me is the then the blue rings start alternating.  Alternating rings indicates a drive failure.  So you may have a drive that is going bad and is not completely bad yet.

I would recommend that if you still have access to your files you get them off the drive immediately before it fails as it may also be an enclosure issue

I have been able to determine that there is a bad drive. What I can not determine is which one??

Is there a way to determine the bad drive.

As for copying the date, the unit doesn’t stay up long enough before the rings start flashing.

Thanks

Craig