This seems like this ? has had no response for 3wks. I too, being a less than 6mo user of Passport Backup, have wondered as I’ve seen my 1T start loosing space. Now 1T is a lot of space to become all used up. I started to Explorer view to find out where the files are going. For me, I was doing daily of the C:/users/MyPC/ which turnout a dumb and without much thoughtout set of files. Most files/folders, after the initial backup, do not change. However…
- Windows type files change frequently…logs etc
- Application folders and files also change
- True, files like pictures, word, excel etc only change when you save or save-as
- I use Mozilla…I was using a Malware checker of the Passport disk and noticed a file in the History folder for this Appl/local/mozilla…/.cache2/entries…and it took an awful long time to process…went to look at this folder on my PC and found over 3000 files in the folder, Just for today! Now imagine the backup of this file/folder for my daily backup for 6mo. Since each file has a unique name, there is no duplicate name and there could be millions of files.
- this above example implies there could be many folders on Backup with files that are useless, but gets backed up. I believe that /Temp folders and a few other do not backup.
So, I went back to my Schedule and un-clicked the Application folder and many of the other programs that I don’t use. I only saved what I believe that I needed for work, home, pictures, play…basically data files like Desktop, Download, Documents and the Mozilla bookmark folder plus any others that I thought I would need if my PC Crashed. If I have to reload Exe files or program files or OS, or hardware…so be it. Having 1T of mostly system and program stuff is not worth it, unless it truly represents “Needed data”. I may not be able to get some data back but the new stuff should not occupy more space.
Now for the original poster, yes it would be nice to have a utility where you can get back some space. WD claims that only 5 versions of a file is saved. However when I look at my Excel files, which uses the same name over but different dates, I do see many many in the History folder along with the _LAST pointer. Now there is only one in the Volume(,) folder. Sort the History folder by Name for a better view…take a look at yours.