How to copy data from old WD NAS to new WD NAS?

I have an (old) MY Book World Edition that WD sunset the Backup software when Windows 10 came out.
The NAS still works but it is almost full.

I want to upgrade to the WD 16TB My Cloud Mirror Personal Network Attached Storage - NAS - WDBWVZ0160JWT-NESN

Before I install this new NAS, how do I copy the 750GB on my old NAS to the new NAS?

Thanks !

Hello greck,

You can map both of the NAS devices on you Windows system and transfer the data manually from My Book world edition device to new my cloud mirror device.

Refer to the below link to know about mapping My cloud on Windows 10:

You can follow the same mapping method of my cloud for your my book device as well.

Thank you !

To migrate your data from the old WD My Book World Edition NAS to the new WD My Cloud Mirror NAS, you can follow these general steps:

1. Backup Important Data: Before you begin, make sure to back up any critical data from your old NAS onto an external drive or another location. This is a precautionary step to ensure your data is safe in case anything goes wrong during the migration process.
  2. Set Up the New NAS: Unbox and set up the new WD My Cloud Mirror NAS according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This will involve connecting it to your network and configuring its basic settings.
  3. Enable Data Transfer Services: The WD My Cloud Mirror NAS likely has built-in data transfer services such as SMB (Windows file sharing) and FTP. Ensure these services are enabled on the new NAS to facilitate data transfer.
  4. Transfer Data: There are a few methods you can use to transfer the data from your old NAS to the new one:a. Direct Copy using a Computer: Connect both your old and new NAS to a computer on the same network. Use your computer to access the shared folders on both NAS devices and perform a direct copy and paste operation. This method can be relatively slow and might not maintain folder structures.b. Robocopy or rsync (Advanced): If you’re comfortable with command-line tools, you can use utilities like Robocopy (for Windows) or rsync (for Linux) to perform a more controlled and efficient data transfer. These tools can preserve folder structures, permissions, and copy only the changed or missing files.c. WD My Cloud App (If Supported): Check if WD provides any data migration tools or apps that can help you transfer data directly between their NAS devices. You might find an app that simplifies the process.
  5. Verify Data Transfer: After the data transfer is complete, thoroughly verify that all your files and folders have been successfully transferred to the new NAS. Check the data integrity and ensure everything is in the right place.
  6. Organize and Set Up New NAS: Once the data is successfully transferred, organize your files and folders on the new NAS as desired. Set up user accounts, shares, and any additional configurations you need.
  7. Test Access and Services: Test access to the new NAS from your devices to ensure that everything is functioning correctly. Verify that the data is accessible and any services you need (like media streaming) are operational.
  8. Securely Erase Old NAS (Optional): If you no longer need the data on your old My Book World Edition NAS, you can securely erase its contents following the manufacturer’s instructions before disposing of it.

Please note that the specific steps may vary based on the operating systems you’re using and the features supported by the NAS devices. Always refer to the user manuals and documentation provided by WD for detailed instructions related to your specific NAS models.