How to consolidate Shares into one parent folder? Or how to share sub-folders?

MyCloudEx2Ultra will create a “share” automatically, whenever I created a user account, with the same name. That’s OK. But, what if I do not want to have folder “Bob” “Joe” “Kelly” “Sam” directly under my root directory? I want to create a folder called “Users”, and put all those “Bob” “Joe” “Kelly” “Sam” under the “Users” folder.

I don’t know how to do it. It seems that the MyCloudEx2Ultra control panel will only allow a “share” to be created under root directory, and it’s not to be moved around.

Appreciate any advice…

You can just use Windows Explorer to create directories. Goto to your “share” and then

1. I can not “just use Windows Explorer” to create directories in the root. The right-click menu in root directory is different, there is no “New” option. Only inside a “share” I can create a sub-directory

2. Even if I were able to create a directory called “Users” under root, and have a bunch of sub-directories created, such as “Jane” and “John”, how to assign proper access security to it? The MyCloudEx2Ultra control panel only controls the access at root level. Don’t think there’s any way to go any further. Or is it?

I did. You need to use the admin account to create a sub directory at the top level.
Did you watch the video? Making a directory is a very fundamental task. I suggest you engage with a knowledgeable acquaintance who can step you through the process. The process for creating a directory is really not in scope here.

What you should do instead is create new share in the dashboard. Once you add share you get an id as that name. You then can change permission for any of shares giving the other ids read access or read and write. By default only the created id has access their own share.

Thanks for the advice. But no that doesn’t help. To answer your question, yes I watched the YouTube videos you posted, both of them. But neither one helps.

This MYCLOUDEX2ULTRA drive is mapped as a network drive to my PC. The root level is off limits, the menu is quite different in Windows Explorer. Only when I click into one of the “share”, then can start to create sub-directories. Then only way to create a directory, or “share”, at root level, is to go through MYCLOUDEX2ULTRA control panel. There is no other way. If you manage to do that, please show me how.

Also the access permission is only for root level directories, or “share”, it’s not for any sub-directories. Your youtube video doesn’t say how to do this either (assign permission to sub-directories). If you know how to do it, please shed some light?

Somewhere around 5 minutes in the video is about how make new share and set permission for other users. Note this is for slightly different model but the firmware and the web interface are same (your EX2 Ultra will have more features options shown) but setting up shares and applying the permissions are exactingly the same.

Thanks. I watched the whole video. It’s just a generic introduction, to go through all the features of console interface. My question still remain unanswered: is there any way to set up access to non-root level directories. No, it didn’t address my question, at all.

OK one last try.

In the image below each color is a different id ( either a user or share/user).
The circled blue icons are read/write access for each user. The eyeball icon means read only and X icon means no access. You can only pick one access icon per user.
So this volume has Black as share owner with read and write and the Yellow and Red ids each also have read and write access.

I fully understand those functions, and sincerely appreciate your effort to try to help. But what I’m asking is beyond the scope of existing functions of the control panel. WD Developers need to figure out ways to provide us more flexibility in terms of controlling read/write access to not only root level directories (shares), but also sub-directories.

This question still remains unanswered.

I am sorry this is difficult for you but the functionality you have asked for is right there and it works fine. Your question is answered. I don’t know what else to post. I can only lead you to the water but I can’t make you drink it…

I suggest you ask a knowledgeable techie friend to review details I provided and explain it to you as it’s clear I’m not able to convey to you what I think is obvious.

Appreciate your attempt for help. With all due respect I don’t think you understand what I’m talking about.

So, let me try to clarify the question, because I’m curious as well. EUPROTEIN has noticed that when creating new users, they end up with a folder in the main directory MYCLOUDEX2ULTRA (the root level). EUP would like the know if it’s possible to tell the unit to make new user folders in a folder made for users of the device (User Folder), this would allow all user directories to be under one directory location.

As far as I can tell, this is not possible, probably for permissions reasons, typically folders will take on the traits of their parent by default, and I suppose that could potentially lead to inadvertent access if the parent folder permissions were less strict than the child? That’s a layman attempting to explain, and its only a guess.

Because the Share Access page in User Setup is so static, and there are no options to set any rules at that level (other than groups) I don’t really see a way to identify a new Creation Location for new user folders, and I don’t see a way to create a folder at that top level anyway.

Is that closer to what you’re asking?

Yes, this is the level of discussion I’m looking forward to. Your guess makes sense to me - parent folder security permission cascades to children, hence if parent is public, children cannot be anything but public.

As a poor-man file-share, WD MYCLOUDEX2ULTRA is not doing a bad job. I guess perhaps a more complicated system like MS Sharepoint will achieve what I’m asking for.

Argh. Parent permissions passed to child directories is default on Linux the base OS WD NAS use. The complicated system already exists with Linux groups and permissions. You could do manual chmod commands via ssh but seriously think that will only confuse the matter.

Anyway take a look at:
https://www.guru99.com/file-permissions.html#:~:text=There%20are%20three%20user%20types,into%20Absolute%20and%20Symbolic%20mode