How to backup to MyCloud Home 4TB?

Hello forum,

I am having a problem where I setup backups to MyCloud Home and it says it’s “backing up” for what seems like forever. Then I walk away from my PC and File History is turned off again and when I turn it back on I get the following:
“File History”, “Could not re associate with File History Data”, “The System cannot find the path specified”. This is on 3 different PCs running Windows 10 with whatever the latest updates are. I then have to remap the drive (which oddly shows up as a drive ON my PC, shouldn’t it be an NAS on my network?). I go through a bunch of screens and sometimes eventually get it to remap, but unless I erase the MyCloud and run everything all over again like it was new it just doesn’t work. Looking through what it has backed up I get a few files and mostly empty folders. My iPhone and IPad seem to back up ok, but the PCs will not complete the process. I’ve been trying get this to work for over a week now. I didn’t actually by this to backup my phone, I bought it to backup my PCs. The software WD Discovery is nearly useless and has very few options except to download more software that doesn’t even work on this device? Unless I’m just missing something this appears to be a nearly useless device. Most of the 2 billion answers I’ve read on the WD website end up directing me to regular USB hard drives, or not even answering any questions. Microsoft’s website isn’t much better, but the MyCloud Home isn’t even their product, so I don’t expect much.

Anybody got some light to shed before I return this thing to the store?

Forgot to mention, I have all PCs to sleep “never”, so it isn’t just timing out, not that it should matter because it shouldn’t have to be erased and re setup every time a PC goes to sleep, that would be ridiculous.

Thanks,

Dan

The following KB will point you in the right direction

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=20103&s=

Ok, I enabled SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing support, but the result is still the same. I followed the “How to Backup…”, and it gets me nowhere. Funny enough it directs me to download Acronys, which I downloaded and tried to install, but guess what, I need to have a WD drive connected to use it, which I don’t because I’m using MyCloud Home which doesn’t seem to work. That install directed me to their website where I could buy more ssoftware, which may or may not work, but I shouldn’t have to buy more software just to make MyCloud Home work. I’ll keep trying for awhile, but I feel this piece of hardware is far from prime time and I’ll probably return it for a refund. Still not sure why I would have to use SMB 1.0 as it appears to have been depreciated back in 2008 and the MS website strongly suggests to NOT use it anymore. Why does this brand new piece of hardware rely on an old depreciated and apparently insecure protocol?

Thanks,

Dan