How to Backup MyBook Live DUO System

is there a command to copy and save the MBLD Drive?

thanks

Kind of… If you go to the UI, then go to Backups, there is a tab for My Book Live Duo Backups. This will let you set up a “safepoint” that is a backup of the Duo.

The problem with the Safepoint method is that if the NAS hardware (not just the drives) fails, you can’t get your data out of the Safepoint unless you get a new MBLD and restore it.

I connect via SSH and use rsync to make a backup of the \DataVolume\shares directory to an attached USB drive.  If the NAS dies, I can plug the USB drive into any computer and get my data off it.

PaulBC wrote:

The problem with the Safepoint method is that if the NAS hardware (not just the drives) fails, you can’t get your data out of the Safepoint unless you get a new MBLD and restore it.

I connect via SSH and use rsync to make a backup of the \DataVolume\shares directory to an attached USB drive.  If the NAS dies, I can plug the USB drive into any computer and get my data off it.

That’s not true…

You can get access to the files on the destination drive without doing a restore to a new WD unit…

How?  The User Manual only explains how to Create, Update, Recover and Manage Safepoints.  No mention of being able to browse Safepoint images.

The SmartWare backup utility lets you selectively restore data from backup, but that still requires using the SmartWare software.  

I’d rather just be able to plug my backup drive into any PC and be able to directly access my data.

how about in Shell level???

When you create a Safepoint to a share it creates a folder called _WDPROT that contains the data from the NAS. This is pretty much just a direct copy of what is on the MBLD with a couple extra folders for system information.

Should you need immediate access to your data after the Duo crashed just go to the _WDPROT folder on the backup share and get your data.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation!  

It would nice if WD provided an “advanced” users manual for people comfortable with Linux and SSH that provided information like that.

Can’t disagree with you…

By the way, I wouldn’t consider the Safepoints a backup.

Backups retain generations and versions.  

Syncs do not;

If you delete something critical off the primary system, and do not discover the error until after the safepoint runs again, the file is deleted from the destination.

Only true BACKUPS allow a restore after a period of time – but that’s why BACKUP volumes can require much more space than the source volume.