[HOW-TO]: Airport Troubleshooting: Port fowarding remote connection instead of relayed connection

I am using an Apple Time Capsule (Airport) router which does not support UPNP and even with port fowarding and with a static IP addess as descibed in serveral howtos, I only got a relay remote connection and not a port fowarding connection.

To solve this,yYou need to do the following:

1. In the Aiport Utility set-up a static IP address for your WD My Cloud and set-up the following 4 port forwards:

1) External TCP Port 8080 to Internal TCP Port 80

2) External TCP Port 8443 to Internal TCP Port 443

3) External TCP Port 80 to Internal TCP Port 80

4) External TCP Port 443 to Internal TCP Port 443

1. Setup a static IP address as described in this howo and also change the remote ports to 8080 and 8443

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8526/~/how-to-enable-port-forwarding-on-a-network-router-for-use-with-a-wd-my-cloud,

Click on “Click Here for Instruction” for “WD My Cloud setup” and the howto will be shown below the table.

Only with the first 2 port fowards it did not work, the solution was to add the port fowards 3+4. After setting up everything reboot your Airport and disable and re-enable the remote connection on your wd my cloud and it should show that it is a port fowarding connection.

This is maybe also a solution for other routers.

Have Fun ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello,

thank you for sharing this. Hope it helps other users.

I believe you only need 3. and 4…1 and 2 are unnecessary. Someone feel free to correct me. But essentially you’re opening up two external ports (doors to your network) that are not needed.

headache is correct – only 1 & 2 *OR^ 3 & 4 are needed.

As to which set should be used depends on the port configuration stored in My Cloud setup.

I have tried 1&2 or 3&4 only and it always showed relay connection. I know that it does not make much sense to open all 4 ports but maybe it is something special using an airport in combination with a wd my cloud.

OneEyedMinion wrote:

MacStar1601 wrote:
I have tried 1&2 or 3&4 only and it always showed relay connection. I know that it does not make much sense to open all 4 ports but maybe it is something special using an airport in combination with a wd my cloud.

Openin ports for this box is high risk. See other posts about it.

Other posts about it are all your posts – and all wrong.  You have never shown evidence.  

@headache

You were right, only ports 1&2 OR 3&4 needs to be forwarded depending on the port settings on the wdmycloud.local site.

But I found out, that even with the correct port forwarding settings it was still using the relay connection and showed “Port forwarding failed to connect on port 80 and port 443.” Turning off and on the remote connection did not help

What the solution was, was to click on “configure” at the remote connection settings and to set it back to “Auto” and press “Save”. Afterwards set it back to " Manual" (and change ports if necessary)  and press save. After a while (approx. 30secs) the connection changes from relay connection to port fowarding connection