I am using an Apple Time Capsule (Airport) router which does not support UPNP and even with port fowarding and with a static IP addess as descibed in serveral howtos, I only got a relay remote connection and not a port fowarding connection.
To solve this,yYou need to do the following:
- In the Aiport Utility set-up a static IP address for your WD My Cloud and set-up the following 4 port forwards:
1) External TCP Port 8080 to Internal TCP Port 80
2) External TCP Port 8443 to Internal TCP Port 443
3) External TCP Port 80 to Internal TCP Port 80
4) External TCP Port 443 to Internal TCP Port 443
- Setup a static IP address as described in this howo and also change the remote ports to 8080 and 8443
Click on “Click Here for Instruction” for “WD My Cloud setup” and the howto will be shown below the table.
Only with the first 2 port fowards it did not work, the solution was to add the port fowards 3+4. After setting up everything reboot your Airport and disable and re-enable the remote connection on your wd my cloud and it should show that it is a port fowarding connection.
This is maybe also a solution for other routers.
Have Fun !