How often will this ex2 be updated?

krycek wrote:

: )  I have never compiled a firmware before  : (  if I do that, will my data be intact? like will it remember my “RAID 1” option?

freshly installed firmware have the “RAID 0” so I may need to tinker the firmware and make it ready for to be raid 1 on the first boot?  : O

how easy is it to brick your X2 with custom firmware? 

I hope the next firmware from Western Digital will reflect all the idea’s that has been presented on this community site,

I don’t think they will do that! but I hope I’m wrong.

Compilation instructions are provided in a read me file accompanying the source code. It is not hard BUT it is NOT for everyone. If you aren’t familiar with shell scripting and Linux, you should not even consider it. Not to mention, you void your warranty by running custome firmware.

krycek wrote:

If WesternDigital moved there WEB UI from a compressed Volume to a writeable Volume people could make the UI more responsive…

Since you wrote the comment about people making the code into a writable volume, I thought you were familiar with shell scripting, etc.

Your data should not be impacted since it resides in a different area but if you don’t know what you are doing, yes, you could potentially brick your EX2. See this thread →   http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/Bricked-my-EX2-lt-Also-how-I-unbricked-it-gt/td-p/861783

1 Like