How much power will the G-Raid TB3 provide towards charging a 2016 MacBook Pro with 4 TB3 ports?

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (2016) with 4 thunderbolt 3 ports. I am considering using this Raid storage as my ‘simple dock’ as it comes with a convenient DisplayPort on the back. I would hook up my Apple LED Cinema Display to it via adapter. Would this be able to provide the full 87W charging for the laptop? Alternatively, how much charge would it provide the laptop while in use? I use capture one pro which is quite power hungry! Thanks for your help in advance. Cheers - Ankur

The new TB3 G-RAIDs will do power charge to the laptop. It supplies enough power to charge the laptop while the drives are in use.

Hi, I have the same macbook pro as above, and TB3 G-raid 8tb.

The tb3 cable supplied is plugged in but it only shows under the Power Wattage 15w as screenshot, my macbook was fully charged before I started working and it is now 70% charged after using lightroom powered only by the G-Raid but was 100% charged before so the G-Raid drive is not supplying enough power to charge the laptop while using the drives?, so is 15w the correct amount the unit is meant to supply my macbook pro? as it seems it is not keeping it charged without a mains usb-c also.

Do I have to plug in the mains usb-c charger as well as the tb3 cable from the G-raid? I thought the G-raid was meant to keep the macbook fully charged while using the drives?

can you advise please

The G-RAID w/ TB3 will power the MBP only if they are the newest models with TB3 that came out in late 2016. You have to make sure you are using the TB cable and not the USB cable as well, also make sure you are using the power adapter that came with the unit which is 19V.

Sorry but that is not the answer to the question asked in the original posters question and my question, please re-read the original posters “Title” of the post and thread.
How much power will the G-Raid TB3 provide towards charging a 2016 MacBook Pro with 4 TB3 ports?”

Why would I not be using the power adapter the G-RAID unit came with… of course I am!!

Of course I am not using a USB cable.

The G-RAID is only giving the MBP 15W though through the TB3 cable as I already explained (see screengrab).
I understood that TB3 can supply up to 100W why is it only supplying 15W?

15W is obviously not enough to keep the power of the MBP 100% while working using lightroom and the G-RAID, as my macbook loses charge down to 65% unless i actually plug the MBPs own usbc mains charger into the MBP for power as well as the TB3 cable to G-RAID for data, and the MBP mains charger is then giving the MBP 60W (see screen grab).

You did not seem to answer my original question “IS 15W THE CORRECT AMOUNT THE UNIT IS MEANT TO BE SUPPLYING MY MBP” I have highlighted it in caps incase you missed the whole point of my post and the original posters post above it, maybe re-read my post and the original persons post above it?, where the very original poster asked 87W "Would this be able to provide the full 87W charging for the laptop? " and hence the reason i am replying in this thread after seeing I have 15w.

Screenshots
(one screenshot showing my MBP model version overview)
(one screenshot showing Power to MBP with MBP’s own mains USBC charger connected giving the MBP 60W)
(one screenshot showing Power to MBP with just G-RAID TB3 original cable giving only 15W power to the MBP)
(one screenshot showing TB3 active Cable 40GB)

I am not sure how much simpler I can make my questions, about the G-RAID not giving my MBP late 2016 model with 4xTB3 ports enough POWER to keep it charged under use in lightroom while using the G-RAID Drives, without having to ALSO plug in the MBP mains USBC charger.

Can you elaborate on your very basic reply, which is almost insulting me stating that I don’t know what model of MBP I even have and that it needs TB3 (why do you think I bought the TB3 Version of G-RAID? I already said in the first line of my post I have 4 TB3 ports 2016 MBP) and suggesting that I am using a USB cable not TB3 cable? when the first line of my post reads “The tb3 cable “supplied” is plugged in but it only shows under the Power Wattage 15w as screenshot,” …or suggesting i am not even using the supplied G-RAID power adapter, how very insulting and quite obvious you are not reading or understanding the question I guess?.

Our following Thunderbolt 3 solutions provide the minimum power pass-thru as per the Thunderbolt 3 spec which is 15W per port (up/down the chain) which means that we only support the power profile of 15W to host.

G-DRIVE Thunderbolt 3 (15W per port)
G-RAID Thunderbolt 3 (15W per port)
G-SPEED Shuttle Thunderbolt 3 Family (Shuttle, XL, SSD) (15W per port)

Thunderbolt 3 USB-C supports up to 5 different power profiles that could support up to 85W per port based on the device. Many Docks and Thunderbolt 3 Displays to support the Max Power Delivery and the PC include the correct power adapter spec’d for their device.

The only device in the G-Tech portfolio that provides additional Power Delivery support is the G-DRIVE USB-C with up to 45W which was focused on supporting the Apple MacBook with USB-C and smaller form factor USB-C notebooks.

Thanks for clearing that up because your reply to the original poster was wrong and could be misleading for other people since the TB3 G-RAID does not supply enough power to charge the MBP while it is in use with the G-RAID drives because 15W is clearly not enough power to keep the MBP charged while it is being used, and needs the MBP’s original power supply via USBC to be connected as well.

At best the TB3 G-RAIDS TB3 cable can only be used to slowly charge a MBP at the minimum power profile of 15W while idle and not being used at all. As i’ve experienced.

Thanks for your reply and patience.

So if TB3 USB-C supports up to 5 different power profiles that could support up to 85W, can the power profile of the TB3 G-RAID not be changed to 85W?

Thanks.

No, it uses an entirely different controller and board so they are not changeable in the same ways.