How many models is there?

I keep seeing people on here talking about at least 3 different players. 

I know of the one I have the only one the store sells and the only one on wd’s site but you guys keep talking about gen 1,2, and 3. then calling it the live plus live2 etc etc

forgive my ignorance but you guys are confusing the **bleep** out of me with all of this.

so what are all the players and differences?  some of you make the older players sound as though they’re the only ones that stream netflix too.  I have no idea what you guys are even talking about because the one I have does.

the one I have,

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

WD is only sellng two “Live” players.   The WDTV Live Streaming Media Player, and the WDTV Live Hub.

There’s also the WDTV Elements Play which is only sold in Asia and EMEA markets.

The forum you’re posting in is for the OLD 2009 and 2010 models.   The WDTV Live HD and the WDTV Live Plus, respectively.

In addition to those, there were the WDTV HD (Gen 1 and Gen 2) and the WDTV Mini.

The only products that do Netflix are the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player, the Live Plus, and the Live Hub.

thanks man that clears up a lot of my confusion and these threads.  especially since I keep seeing posts about firmware that is far different than mine.

I guess i have the live streaming player as you would call it?

Yes.

yamaharacer wrote:

thanks man that clears up a lot of my confusion and these threads.  especially since I keep seeing posts about firmware that is far different than mine.

All you need to do is remember FOUR models:

1.) WD TV LIVE - no internet connection (Gen. 1)

2.) WD TV LIVE PLUS - ethernet connection only (Gen. 2)

3.) WD TV LIVE STREAMING - ethernet, wifi (Gen. 3)

4.) WD LIVE HUB 1TB - ethernet (this one is actually in a class of its own)

Forget about product No.1 because that model is old and obsolete. The 1TB ‘LIVE HUB’ is the most stable model right now. It has zero lag when playing Netflix contents and such. The newest ‘Live Plus’ and the ‘Live Streaming’ Wifi tends to take its time for buffering before your picture becomes clear, this can take up to a minute. It also tends to do the same whenever you RWD or FFWD contents. The 1TB HUB has zero buffering issues, but only sometimes when it plays from a cold start.  

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?level1=10&lang=en

80sGuy wrote:

yamaharacer wrote:

All you need to do is remember FOUR models:

1.) WD TV LIVE - no internet connection (Gen. 1)

2.) WD TV LIVE PLUS - ethernet connection only (Gen. 2)

3.) WD TV LIVE STREAMING - ethernet, wifi (Gen. 3)

4.) WD LIVE HUB 1TB - ethernet (this one is actually in a class of its own)

If you are going to go by this, at least make it correct.> 1.) WD TV - no internet connection

2.) WD TV LIVE - ethernet connection

3.) WD TV LIVE PLUS -  ethernet connection  - Enabled to play copy protected content

4.) WD TV LIVE STREAMING - ethernet, wifi

5.) WD LIVE HUB 1TB - ethernet> * * *

shavanni wrote:

If you are going to go by this, at least make it correct.> 1.) WD TV - no internet connection

3.) WD TV LIVE PLUS -  ethernet connection  - Enabled to play copy protected content

You meant to tell me that according to your (no .2) WD TV LIVE can use the ‘ethernet’ to connect to medias such as Netflix or Youtube? If so that’s called ‘internet’ and no sense of the buying the LIVE PLUS model. I know there is an ethernet connection for network sharing, but as far as I know, you CAN’T stream materials from the ‘internet’ such as those provided on later models. Also, your no. 3 suggested ‘Enabled to play copy-protected content’; is this a feature that you can ‘enable’ somewhere in the menu? I can play everything with my: LIVE PLUS, LIVE STREAMING and LIVE HUB – copy-protected or not.

The live (number 2) is the European model of the Live plus you have, it’s the same as your plus - but without the Netflix plugin/chip which has no use for us, still has Youtube and the others.

I think you’re as confused as I was.  I don’t have a live player standard or +.  I have the live streaming player.

markinuk wrote:

The live (number 2) is the European model of the Live plus you have, it’s the same as your plus - but without the Netflix plugin/chip which has no use for us, still has Youtube and the others.

Sorta, but not quite…

The Live was released world-wide almost a year BEFORE the Live Plus was released.  

80sGuy wrote:

shavanni wrote:

You meant to tell me that according to your (no .2) WD TV LIVE can use the ‘ethernet’ to connect to medias such as Netflix or Youtube? If so that’s called ‘internet’ and no sense of the buying the LIVE PLUS model. I know there is an ethernet connection for network sharing, but as far as I know, you CAN’T stream materials from the ‘internet’ such as those provided on later models. Also, your no. 3 suggested ‘Enabled to play copy-protected content’; is this a feature that you can ‘enable’ somewhere in the menu? I can play everything with my: LIVE PLUS, LIVE STREAMING and LIVE HUB – copy-protected or not.

Yes, The WDTV Live (no. 2 in my list) can play youtube videos, it also has access to flickr, mediafly, accuweather, live365, pandora, radiotime and flingo.

It cannot play copy protected (DRM) videos such as Netflix and Blockbuster.

WD released the WDTV Live Plus (no. 3)  to do that. In essence, the Live and the Live Plus are very similar units, with the latter  having access to netflix/blockbuster (DRM Content).

There is no “setting” on the Plus to enable/disable DRM as its simply a function of the chip.