How long should compiling take? Minutes, hours days

I got mine just some days ago. Latest firmware updated right away. Now I got two USB HDDs attached, one has just one parrtition, 2TB and the other one has for prime partitions, all over the HDD has 1.5TB and both have very many smaller size media files as well as midsize and large video files.

The media library scan needs ages for my box. And some files seems to be broken or what… after a while the SMP is not responding anymore and I have to restart it by deplug and replug the power.  The HDD with the 4 primary partitions needs realy long time, more than 10min. to get recognized by the box, the other HDD is there right away within some minutes.

While the media library scanning, the network (LAN ethernet) connection brakes up and the GUI freezes.

What is the issue with it? I thought there will be no issue with my USB Harddrives and I just connect them and be a happy camper?!? What for did I bu the **bleep** box?

Any idea how to solv this issue I got?

Cu, DerBaerTM

I have run into a similar problem with Large Libraries. 

I would suggest breaking up the libraries into smaller folders, adding them to the Media library one at a time.

i had a 550 movie library that just seemed to choke the system. (wired was better than wireless for this) 

i broke it up into 100 movie groups, ( tried to do it logically, by title   like a- e, f -h, etc.)

and then added them one at a time.

as i added each one , I disconnected the previous one, and let the metadata scan automatically on each group of 100.

after they were all added individually, i changed the metadata scan to manual only.  then added the smaller folders one at a time to the library. 

still isn’t fast. but it worked.  

it’s not the optimum answer, and i wish there was some other way.

and if it locks up, I have found a system → device restart  helps the library get itself right.  again, not sure why. 

hope this helps.

d

well, in my case the issue is that I got two usb-harddrives connected directly with the box and not via LAN as NAS. I wish I would have the money for a performant NAS solution!

Still, I can do everything and not getting it running - many more hours of waiting for the WD SMP indexing/scanning my files into this media library did not help. The SMP hangs totally and I had to restart it twice again.

Is it because I do not only have media files but as well other files on my two HDDs, so I can use the WD SMP as a NAS as well as a media cube?

have you managed to solve the issue?  I have exacly the same problem with my IOMEGA NAS. I have tried everything. It works fine with my Bufalo NAS…but its 2 small for my film collection.

Not sure if this is what you are running into or not.

Are you connecting to the Iomega Nas using USB? Or the network? 

I found this post earlier… Saying Iomega NAS has to be a network connection to work, not a USB connection… 

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/Connecting-WDTV-Mini-to-Iomega-Storcenter/td-p/93090

Hope this helps, or at least clarifies  

d

Actually, I should note that this is for an older version of the WDTV… 

if it lets you select the nas drive to create a media library, it should work.  the only reason i have seen it not work is because of read/write permissions on the directory where the media is.

not sure it helps. 

d

Reported to WD nearly a month ago but no suggestions from them. As far as i know ive tried every combination of settings with no luck im afraid.

NAS network connected.  I agree def a perms issue…but I have tried all that.  The odd thing is it creates the .wd_live folder  with files wdtv.cas2* and wdtv.cas2_lock_file_check_…* so obviously it has write perms. If I look at the permissions of these they only have read.  I am unable to change the perms with the WDTV on.  I have to turn it off.  Reboot the NAS (It locks up and all my other shares are unavailable on the network).  I change the perms of the files…but they make absolutely no difference.  Really frustrating.

@ damage

I have also reported.

Can I sum it up liket this? Even with 1.7.15 the media collection does not work on a NAS even when the SMP has R/W rights on the share and there’s nothing that the user can do about this? Me SMP hangs for hours and even deleting the WDTV folders does not help it.

It works fine with my Bufallo NAS.  Just not my IOMEGA NAS

I have logged a call with IOMEGA for this…and its not looking promising.  As I have previously mentioned, the media library function works OK on my Buffalo NAS.   I have looked at the file permissions of the wdtv.cas2 file and …

User---------------------------------------IOMEGA Perms -------------------Buffalo NAS Perms
Everyone -----------------------------------------r----------------------------------------- r/w
nobody (Unix Group\Nobody) -------------r/w-------------------------------------- FULL
users (Unix Group\Users)------------------ r----------------------------------------- N/A
nogroup (Unix Group\nogroup) ----------N/A--------------------------------------- r/w

I have sent IOMEGA a config dump from my NAS which they requested.  They have basically come back with…

We will most likely not support this operation as we won’t support 3rd party devices -
If you can create a share from a computer and fully operate on the files from the computer, unit is working as intended.
In any case we would need more information on the exact process used by the device to “compile” the media library.

OK… Spoke to IOMEGA Support not helpfull.  WD Support not helpfull (well they suggested rolling back the firmware but that made no differnece)  I have however found the solution (well more of a work arounnd).  It does require a PC to be on all the time (not a problem for me as I have a PC running Logitech Media Server for my squeezebox) and the use of something called Symbolic Links…windows 7 and poss vista required.  XP a no go.

http://superuser.com/questions/297716/windows-7-ntfs-symbolic-link-network-share-availability-timeout  

http://www.windows7home.net/how-to-create-symbolic-link-in-windows-7/

few pointers there.  MSG me back if you want me to put more detailed description up and when I get 10 mins I will

It definitely takes too long, and slows everything else down while you have to wait for it.  It’s really amazing what poor effort they put into indexing.