How long does a firmware update take (DX4000 1_7_6_21)

raid is probably initializing may take 2 to 3 days

Just to complete the thread - working fine in RAID 5

Hi - I just did basically the same thing. I am using non-approved WD drives in my DX4000. I edited the whitelists originally in order to get it up and running off of two drives. I acquired a third drive and applied the update to the DX4000 listed in this article: WD Sentinel DX4000 & RX4100: Incompatible Drive.

The system is up and running now, same symptoms, it runs, but the light is red and the LCD says “Updating Software”
I can remote in to the system and see the third drive as “Disk 1”. There is an alert that says “One or more unformatted hard drives are connected to the server”.

Based on reading this thread, my question is: Do I just wait for 3 days and the third drive will be assimilated into RAID 5 from RAID 1 with no further action? Or do I need to do something else?

My intent is a 3 drive RAID 5.

Thanks!

if you go into alerts on the dashboard you can probably clear the lcd msg.

is the 3rd drive absolutely bigger than the other 2?

Thanks for your response!

The 3rd drive is identical in size. I have not checked on any “progress” today yet, the LED is still red and “Updating Software” is still displayed.

Is there some deliberate action that needs to be taken in order to convert from the 2 drive RAID 1 to 3 drive RAID 5?

mmmmm… I would have started the full install with 2 drives with 1_7_6_21 (i.e. editing the whitelist directly on the latest version). Then I would have applied the WD patch to give compatibility with not approved drives, and only at that time add another drive. This is at least what I did succesfully with not approved drives (WD RED)

regards

Davide

AFAIR it happened automatically. I.e. put in 3 drives and it goes to raid 5

Dr Mangal Parihar
Orthopedic Surgeon

Map: Google Maps

the raid 1 to 5 should be automatic. Just because a drive is say 2tb does not mean it is the same size. If it is the same or bigger I would put it in a PC and do diskpart > clean and then put it back in