How long does a firmware update take (DX4000 1_7_6_21)

hi all,

i downloaded the 1_7_6_21 firmware update and started installing it.
(as i wanted to put in a new disk in the empty bay - DX4000 with 4 bays, 2 bays with 2 TB disks each - 100 GB free)

the LCD shows updating software, the Alert viewer in Dashboard shows 'western disgital sentinel software update is installing.

however this has been going for the last 4 hours. disk activity lights blink from time to time (i am not transferring any files there)

last 20 min or so no activity.

any idea how much time the software update would take.

any suggestions if this is normal time or do i need to trouble shoot some problem?

thanks in anticipation

mangal parihar

sorry, just saw a similar post

however in my case,
drive count is showing correctly on the LCD
Power button is blue, and drive LEDs are blinking occasionally.

can remote into the server, shares are working, can share.
‘update from file’ in dashboard is greyed out.

(in case the additional info helps)

regards

mangal parihar

I do not think you have any options other than restart and see what it says.
When you go to the firmware page does it still show the old firmware version?

yes sir. shows 1.7.3.13

restarted, shows the same thing ‘updating software’ on LCD

however, now ‘update from file’ is not greyed out in dashboard.

trying the update again.

will let you know how it goes.

9 pm here (IST).

regards

update from file
the file you are pointing to is still zipped? dot zip?

there may be an alert in the dashboard health that you can right click delete and the lcd msg will go away

yes. its a zip file.

should i be using an unzipped file? (folder rather)

i did unzip it on my mac, and moved the folder over, initially, but didnt know which file to ‘start’

no you should leave it zipped

if that does not work we may try manually later

left it overnight.

had added another disk (which was the reason for updating the firmware).

overnight it seems to have started the migration process on that disk.

LCD shows “migrating . . 22 %” (showing slow increase)

disk count 3

disk LEDs constantly on.

Dashboard shows the same software version 1.7.3.13 as earlier.
earlier (last night) could see drive D & E on the windows menu, now only D is seen (probably due to the migration?)

will update further what happens

Thanks for the update. Yes, let it finish migration and I would say yes also, E: went away as it is now part of the D: array

the array is now up and running.

software version still shows 1.7.3.13

drive used was a Red NAS drive WD20EFRX
(i noted that gramps seems to have said in a roundabout way that Red drives should not be used in a NAS) - why, gramps?

the NAS seems to have got faster in reading at least - contents seem to come up quicker.

my original intent was to fill all the disk slots (and get more space), but now with the reading that i did for getting this done, it seems that RAID 5 is not a good option for large disks.

therefore thinking of keeping the 4th disk (same as above) in a HDD enclosure, and backing up critical data to it.

your thoughts on this please - gramps.

(and thanks to you for your help as well as other posters on this forum, reading which i got some really helpful information on a subject that difficult to maneuver thru, for a non techie)

WD themselves only listed Red Drive in a Mirror when they first came out. RAID 5 required something over my head that was in the Enterprise class of drives. Reading this link now it seems perhaps the new red drives with NAS 3.0 are fine for RAID 5

I do not think there is anything wrong with 4 drives in a RAID 5, but I do think you need backups. If I only had X amount of money to spend it would be on backups before RAID

thanks.

so if i read you correctly, keeping the drive as a backup is preferable to adding it to RAID.
if and when running out of space on RAID, get two more drives, one for RAID and other for backup (since overall data to be backed up will increase)

new problem.
i restarted the server,
Power Light went solid red for a while, then blinking blue.
LCD read updating software.
Drive count 0 on LCD
Dashboard unresponsive (opened but cant change tabs once opened)
Windows itself showed the correct space on the D drive
All files accessible from network as before.

tried another restart. same sequence & result as above.

software was reading 1.7.3.13.

one more restart,

LCD still reads updating software, went away after “ignore alert” from alert window on dashboard.
drive count 3 on LCD, 2 on dashboard (C & D),

drive bays ‘normal’ on dashboard, status “healthy”
system temperature, power supplies & cooling fans - ‘information not available’ (see attached screenshot)

power led blinking blue
no drive LED activity on accessing disks (though read write occuring normally)

going to leave it alone for a while and see (unless you have any advice / suggestion)

regards

I think the trick is WDBLGT. You can stop the service, change the registry, then start the service to make sure it works before making the bat file. This happens on some that upgrade the firmware. Your fans is probably running full speed also.

Make changes like below, export the key and then make a bat file that has the below and either run it or schedule it to run on boot
net stop “WD Enclosure Provider Service”
regedit /S “C:\path\to\file”
net start “WD Enclosure Provider Service”

hmm.

stopped the service. editing the registry. (my windows skills are a few years old - only mac currently)
currently shows the model number as in the screen shot.
so i modify the ModelNumber & the ModelId ?

or just the ModelNumber?

I think just the number wdblgt

if i was in the US, i would send you a bunch of flowers!!

:slight_smile:

restarted after editing the registry (didnt add the bat file)

drive lights on, dashboard shows the things that were missing.

drives busily active without any writing / reading from the network.

LCD shows ‘backup failed’, alert viewer shows “the windows server client computer backup service is not running”

New computer come up in the computers and backup tab. dont remember it there earlier.

Do you have a computer named imac2 that you may have run the connector on?
You need to click start, type services.msc see if the windows server essentials backup service will start
if not on that devices tab on the right go to more tasks and try to repair the database

if you do not have/want imac2 right click and delete it

finally “updated” it back to 1.7.3.13 from
http://download.wdc.com/nas/sentinel_software_1_7_3_13.zip

by new computer i meant the WDSENTINEL

imac2 is infact the computer that i remote login from. but i dont need it backed up as timemachine does that. so i will delete it from the list.

anyway, finally, it completed the entire cycle of
updating firmware
shutting down
reboot required
and then the 'software update completed"

however even now there is a moderate amount of disk activity going on.

i suspect that it is some form of scanning for bad sectors or something? since the RAID has just been changed?
possible?

again, will let it ‘cook’ overnight and see what happens.

fiddling with a raid array is a great way to teach patience !!!

thanks again gramps