How I unbricked my MBL after the November 2012 firmware update

I have the blank screen problem after entering my password via the bonjour link within Safari on my Mac (Lion). 

I am not into Terminal, SSH, etc., work-arounds. I would like WD to offer a download or some other simple solution that simply fixes this issue for people who expect things to work.

Hello all, specialy Myron and thanks for many useful hints.

1. I have same issue as described in this post (no dashboard or only some options available, green LED constantly blinking → MBL newer goes to stdby mode) . I wanted to make system restore to factory settings, but this option is not accessible trough dasboard any more. So I decided to go trough WinSCP.

2. But when I try to access MBL via WinSCP I get: “Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running a SFTP server?”. I checked http://“ipadress”/UI/ssh  ( http://www.mybooklive.local/UI or http://www.mybooklive/UI returns “page not found”) and SSH Access Enable is ticked. Do you have any idea how to access MBL in my case to make a system factory restore?

3. I have already tried reseting trough disconnecting the device from power supply, using reset button on back side and it look like it get worse every time. Each time less functions works.

The initial problem is you have to enable SSH before the problems manifest themselves.

If SSH is not enabled then there are discussions on this community on how to cure the problem but it does mean opening up the MBL and connecting the hard drive to another computer with an Ubuntu Linux operating system.

Hello all

Is there any update regarding this issue?

I can’t possibly conceive that an company like WD would leave this matter unresolved, and that the only way to resolve this is by an RMA!

I have access to the Dashboard, even doe the page doesn’t display any options…

I’ve tried to enable SSH (to follow a manual load firmware tutorial) by manually inserting the SSH page path:  http://mybooklive//UI/ssh, but the ticked option does not load (I tick it and nothing happens).

Is there a Windows-based way to gain access do the Dashboard? I see many topics using some sort of command lines but I don’t see where I feed these command lines…

And another thing: many topics refer to a path in MBL -  /var/www/Admin/webapp/config/ . How can I access this path?

How can we apply pressure on WD for them to resolve this in a simple manner? Maybe if they get flooded with complaints, they’ll get things going…

it’s really amazing. i spent nearly a week on and off trying to get stuff off the drive just to be able to send it back for replacement. didn’t manage to finish before having to leave the country… people should be warned to stay away from WD NAT drives!

Actually now that I think of it - I need to write a “review” on Amazon…

This fixed my blank screen ui-problem as well. Even though, my configuration file was empty. Filesize was 0 (zero). Copied your lines, saved, there was my UI again.

Thanks very much :slight_smile:

Wd dont seem interested in the customer anymore - firmware upgrade must have lost them 1,000s of customers - cant believe they have not foun a solution - get your money back and go buy a reliable unit - dont get a refurbished unit - they are as bad and the warranty dates go by sold/registered issued dates first time round !.

wduseless wrote:

Wd dont seem interested in the customer anymore - firmware upgrade must have lost them 1,000s of customers - cant believe they have not foun a solution - get your money back and go buy a reliable unit - dont get a refurbished unit - they are as bad and the warranty dates go by sold/registered issued dates first time round !.

I don’t know how you say that we’ve lost 1,000s of customers because of this, when this issue is affecting only a small percentage of the amount of these drives we sell.  You need to get your facts straight.  If you were to read this thread rather than assume that every post represents a different user, you would find that only a hand full of users fill the first 3 pages.  And they are actually there helping one another. 

You also defame us by saying that we don’t care about our customers.  We care very much about our customers.  And we are working on every issue that we can verify, reproduce, and can confirm that are based on a problem with our firmware.  Again with your lack of facts.  You must realize that it takes time to reproduce, and verify a bug.  Just cause someone says that something is a bug, and is our fault, doesn’t mean that it is.  We can’t help anyone if we can’t verify the issue.  So it takes time to verify.  (Do you how many people we contact for more information about the issues they claim to have that never respond back?  It makes it hard for us to help you.)  Secondly, we need to figure out how to fix the issue.  Again, that takes time.  Then we need to test to make sure that we’re not breaking something else.  That takes more time.  It can take a month before we can rush a fix out. 

Finally,  this whole issue of our warranty.  Nobody replaces a failed unit with a brand new product.  It is standard industry practice to replace failed products with recertified product.  Do you understand what that means?  We can’t just give you someone else’s failed product (from one of your other posts).  We must go through a certification process that’s legally required of us.  Moreover, who isn’t going to maintain the original warranty period when they replace your product.  If your drive has a two year warranty, it will continue with that same warranty after it has been replaced. 

Look, I understand the frustrations when things fail, or don’t work right.  But if you’re going to vent make sure that you have your facts straight, and that you are in line with the usage guidelines.  You’re using a line of reasoning that’s not only flawed, but misrepresentative.  And you do this after Customer Support has already taken steps to help you out. 

1 Like