How I replace the HDD of mycloud gen2

Thank you,

I was able to successfully unbrick my MyCloud GEN2 with your solution …
The img files worked perfectly …

Hello, could you share the virgin image you created? I cannot seem to find any for gen2 online, and the gen1 doesn’t work with my model.

Depending on what method of unbrick you use for the 2nd generation one does not need a “virgin image”. Quite a few have used user Fox_Exe’s directions to unbrick their 2nd gen single bay My Cloud.

Second gen directions:
English: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_en.txt
Russian: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_ru.txt
Various files used in the second gen Fox_exe unbrick directions can be found in the WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2 repository.

The main Fox_exe repositories for multiple My Cloud models can be found here:
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/

Also, the 1st gen unbrick method and unbrick files will not work to unbrick the 2nd gen due to the second gen using a different OS and having different hardware.

Here are the images: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QeZ67aDtGD20Uska7ueRAEX7HORyJKlf?usp=sharing

Suerte!

Thank you, this worked after several hours where everything else seemed to fail.

My only nagging doubt, is whether I’d made a mistake in continuing to access via IP address. Upon first boot, I got the safe mode screen when I tried to access via IP (where I’d been struggling to update the firmware for hours using the other recovery method).

Using this method, that didn’t show any form of current firmware version, whereas the other one showed a v1.

I then just tried the wdmycloud URL, and low and behold it worked.

Why am I having to much trouble copying files to new hdd on gen2 my cloud.

Which/who’s directions are you following to replace the hard drive in your second gen single bay My Cloud?

I have tried many ways but no luck. I’m hoping someone can help with good guide to follow. I think maybe it’s something I’m doing wrong. I tried fox guide but to no avail. If only I can get network running again that would help. Its a new hdd with nothing on it. I can’t even seem to transfer to the hdd from usb

If a new hard drive then you have to partition it exactly as indicated in Fox’s directions before you attempt to copy over the files. It helps to use a Linux boot disk/boot USB flash drive. One typically has to adjust the directions to use the correct /dev/sdx location on one’s local computer. And one may need to use “sudo” in front of the Linux command depending on what Linux version one is using.

Your screen capture is showing that some locations do not exist which leads to some of your errors.

1 Like

Ok let me have another go at it with fox’s partition info :+1: will get back to you thank you :blush:

Still no luck just not copying files to hdd.

You are still getting errors which means something is wrong with your setup (or Linux system) or commands being issued. Your screen shot shows your configuration/system isn’t mounting /dev/sdb1 to /mnt/usb properly. It is mounting it in read only mode for some reason.

Try using a Linux OS boot disc/USB flash drive. There are a number of Linux distro’s that will allow one to boot their computer into Linux using either a flash drive or CD/DVD disc. For example: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Yes I’m only getting read only not sure why all that is on hdd is a boot file which is empty. Could the reason I only have read only be because of version of Ubuntu I’m using? It’s very frustrating.

Unknown what the exact cause for it is. Could be a configuration issue with the Linux OS that is write protecting the /mnt directory. Or if /dev/sdb1 is write protected it may cause that error and one may have to take ownership of /dev/sdb1 and change the permissions on it. Or maybe you need to include sudo in the execution of the command.

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb

Could try the suggestion mentioned here and see if it fixes the issue:

sudo hdparm -r0 /dev/sdb

Ok so I have managed to boot into safe mode but when I load firmware I just get spinning circle with 0%. The light goes to solid red when trying to load firmware.

What firmware are you trying to load? You should be attempting loading the v2.x firmware for the second gen single bay My Cloud if one is able to load up the safe mode screen.

2.41.116 (12/08/2020)
https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/My_Cloud_GLCR_2.41.116.bin

If one is still having issues, try stepping through the directions again on the second gen single bay. One should not be getting errors if the hard drive was partitioned exactly as indicated in Fox’s directions and the commands were issued correctly for the second gen single bay.

Edit to add: If the latest OS3 firmware for the second gen single bay My Cloud fails to load, one can try using an older version of the v2.x second gen single bay firmware.

WD My Cloud v3.x, v4.x and v2.x Firmware Versions Download Links
https://community.wd.com/t/wd-my-cloud-v3-x-v4-x-and-v2-x-firmware-versions-download-links/148533

I have tried the 2.41.116 and older firmware, on boot of the cloud I get blue flashing light for approx 10>15sec then get flashing red, I then go to ip address then get safe mode I then load up firmware and then light goes to solid red and just stays 0%. Or sometimes shoots to 100% but nothing uploaded. I have tried with Microsoft Edge but does not find my ip, tried opera and Firefox the see ip etc, I have even tried in linux. Any help would be greatful.

After ou mount the two devices you should do a df command to show the size of each partition. You should also do an ls /mnt/usb and ls /mnt/root. Your list of commands is incomplete to see what went wrong.

Ok…I did go by fox’s tutorial but nothing on there to say this. So now confused on the commands you advised do these to in at the end. And would this help with upload of new firmware when using Web safe mode.

Out of curiosity you indicated you are using a new HDD. Is the drive an SSD drive or a hard disk drive? Don’t know about the second gen single bay, but I never was able to get a SSD to work in a first gen single bay. Always failed to boot and showed a red front LED. No issues using a hard disk drive, more than once however I had to re-run Fox’s directions before it worked.

In my case with a first gen, using an Ubuntu boot disk I typically had to use sudo in front of some of the terminal commands. Not sure if one has to do the same on the second gen directions.

And as a reminder. There are two sets of directions in Fox’s unbrick/new hard drive second gen single bay install method. In the first set of directions, one is using Telnet to connect their computer to the My Cloud and issue the various commands through the Telnet terminal window. The Alternative way directions is where one would use a Linux (or a Linux boot disk/boot USB flash drive) and use the Linux command line interface to issue commands. The steps for the Alternative way are different than the steps in the first set of directions using Telnet! Make sure to use the correct set of steps!