How I replace the HDD of mycloud gen2

cd <path>

To go to the top of the file system, use cd /
To see what the filesystem looks like, use ls

USB drives are likely to be in /mnt or /dev
From your notes, /dev/sdc

If you’re unclear, google for basic linux tutorials.

How are you running linux to perform this operation? From a LiveCD? From USB?

I am running linux from a USB

Thank you all for your comments.

After booting up with Ubuntu Desktop and copy and paste the commands, My cloud is back up but with the original issue.

I am not able to see any shares on the network, I can see the shares from the dashboard.
I have added a new share and cannot see this as well. I have set Public share in the on and off position and have the same results.

Added a new user and password no change.

This unit is for backup for my existing my cloud and will only be used internally.

If I turn on the DLNA media server, this will show on the network. I have updated the firmware to the latest.

What exactly do you mean by ‘cannot see’?

Do you mean that they are not even visible to whatever computer/OS/file manager you are using (what are those, by the way)?

Or do you mean they are visible, but you are denied access?

From the network I cannot see any folders that are shared from My Cloud, default or not. I can see my shared folders from my computer on the network

I have used both Windows 7 and Windows 10 and have the same results.

See images.

If you haven’t already, double check the My Cloud network settings to ensure the My Cloud is using the same workgroup name as the rest of the devices on the local network. Also ensure the IP address the My Cloud has assigned is in the same IP address pool range (example: 192.168.1.x / 255.255.255.0).

Also, if you haven’t already done so, perform a 40 second reset. It is generally or typically recommended one do a 40 second reset after unbricking their drive.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=13986

On the Windows PC’s ensure the firewall isn’t blocking access to the My Cloud or local network. Also while the following is for Windows 10 some will apply to Windows 7; see, if you haven’t already, the following post and pay attention in particular to steps Windows 10 Specific Method 1 through Windows 10 Specific Method 5.

https://community.wd.com/t/compilation-of-windows-10-methods-steps-and-solutions/142576

1 Like

I have just installed a replacement 3tb drive in a v2 MyCloud, using the “alternative” method of this guide. If anyone else has a gen 2 MyBook, this may come in handy

Before starting, download these 2 files:

uImage-wdrecovery: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_6OlQ_H0PxVRzM2YjlQUE9KMkE
uRamdisk-wdrecovery: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_6OlQ_H0PxVZGZRc3ZFdzh6bTg

Format a usb stick as fat32. Not NTFS or exFat. Fat32.

Copy the 2 files to the fat32 formatted usb stick

Insert the usb stick in your pc

Do what it says here:

Use Debian/ubuntu or any other linux distro (USB/CD Live image)
All “/dev/sda” change to your disk! (List disks in system: “parted -l”)
If this is new disk or damaged (formatted) old, recreate partitions first:
parted /dev/sda
mklabel gpt
mkpart primary 1049kB 2149MB
mkpart primary 8591MB -1MB
mkpart primary 7517MB 8591MB
mkpart primary 2149MB 3222MB
mkpart primary 3222MB 4296MB
mkpart primary 4296MB 6443MB
mkpart primary 6443MB 7517MB
q
mkswap /dev/sda1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda3

mkdir /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot
mkdir /mnt/boot/boot
cd /mnt/usb
cp uImage-wdrecovery /mnt/boot/boot/uImage
cp uRamdisk-wdrecovery /mnt/boot/boot/uRamdisk

Done. Connect disk back to WDMC and turn on.
After few minutes WDMC boots to “WD Recovery”. Go to webgui and upload official firmware.
Done!

Thanks to whoever wrote the guide. It just needed updated a little bit. I hope this helps some of you have a successful outcome.

1 Like

Ok, for some reason my cloud stopped mounting my 3tb partition. So I wiped the drive to start again, but this time when I got to creating the swap file once the partitions had been created (mkswap /dev/sda1) I got an error message: cannot open /dev/sda1: Device or resource busy.

Gparted shows /dev/sda1 as a linux-raid file system, with a key beside it, and a mount point of /dev/md127. I cant unmount the partition or the mount point.

Anyone any ideas what I can do here?

Anyone know if a 10tb IronWolf will work in a My Cloud Gen 2, with appropriate Partition 2 size of course?!?!

when i write this comand “cd /mnt/usb” i receive error

i change the broked original drive

i try another step but

when i write cd /mnt/usb

cd: no such file or directory: /mnt/usb

(i use 2 pen drive, first with systemrescuecd and second in fat32 with 2 files)

anche io ho il tuo stesso problema, come hai risolto?. Non basta scaricare i 2 files e copiarli su una penna in fat 32?? se puoi mi rispondi , grazie

quando arrivo al passaggio

“cd /mnt/usb”

mi dice file o directory non trovata, dove sbaglio? in gparted la penna usb in fat 32 dove ho copiato i 2 file la vede. Come mai il comando non va?

vi prego aiutatemi

tramite una guida linux ho montato in modo corretto la usb con mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb.

sono riuscito a copiare i file nella directory boot/boot.

ho collegato il disco Mycloud ma senza esito positivo. Dopo una decina di secondi ho sempre luce rossa lapmeggiante

Hi. Sorry, I don’t speak Italian but hopefully you can read this with Google translate.

Have you used the same make and model of drive as the original? I think this is important. I had to build mine from new as I just bought the enclosure from eBay. But my v1 has a WD red so I bought one of those for the v2, and it worked. I followed the guide exactly and it worked first time.

Hi, thk’s for answare.

No i try with Seagate hard disk 4Tb. But i don’t know if the problem is the model. I build all partitions same in the online guide for gen2 (i find only guide of Russia). I copy I want know if WD Company had A guide for replace the mycloud when the hd is broken. If you can a link for .img mycloud 4Tb (single hd). Or if there is another system (by back usb) for replace my cloud.

I wait you

Hi all,

I tried the following step. It work for my cloud (Gen2) 3TB. I am not sure why I need to do twice on partition with different kernel uImage and uRamdisk. However, it works in my device.

Download uImage and uRamdisk

GitHub - Johns-Q/wdmc-gen2: WD My Cloud Gen2 (Kernel / Distribution / Information) drop

Use Debian/ubuntu or any other linux distro (USB/CD Live image)

All “/dev/sda” change to your disk! (List disks in system: “parted -l”)

If this is new disk or damaged (formatted) old, recreate partitions first:

parted /dev/sda
mklabel gpt
q
mkswap /dev/sda1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda3

Download and unpack files from WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/Developing: uImage-wdrecovery and uRamdisk-wdrecovery

Write it disk:

mkdir /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot
mkdir /mnt/boot/boot
cp uImage-wdrecovery /mnt/boot/boot/uImage
cp uRamdisk-wdrecovery /mnt/boot/boot/uRamdisk

Done. Connect disk back to WDMC and turn on.

###################################

1. Download these files:
    (Original firmware from wdc website)
    (Download usbrecovery.tar.gz) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVRXllYjY5RG1CZEU

2. Use any USB Flash drive, format it to FAT32 (Important!)

3. Unpack usbrecovery.tar.gz to this drive (You will get “boot” folder and 4 files inside)

4. Plug this USB drive to WD MyCloud, turn on power. Wait yellow-red (blinking) light.

5. Connect via Telnet (Search IP in your router, under DHCP section.)

6. Format HDD if need:
    parted /dev/sda
    mklabel gpt
    q
    mkswap /dev/sda1
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda3

7. Install original WD recovery and reboot:
    mkdir -p /mnt/usb /mnt/root
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/root
    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
    cp -r /mnt/usb/boot /mnt/root/
    cd /mnt/root/boot
    rm uImage uRamdisk
    mv uImage-wdrecovery uImage
    mv uRamdisk-wdrecovery uRamdisk
    cd /
    umount /mnt/root /mnt/usb
    sync
    reboot -f

8. After reboot device get old IP address and accessable via Web-GUI (Recovery mode). Use original firmware (.bin file) here.

Done!

I think if you go back and look at the instructions. It shows two ways to unbrick
the My Cloud. One way you take the disk out of the case. The other you use
a bootable USB with the recovery files without taking the disk out of the case.

Thanks you Luiz. I tried almost everything. Was getting webgui with blinking red light. Your instructions fixed it. Phew!

I have tried restoring my gen2 by fox’s instructions but it keep showing me 0 MB

It looks like I need to get into RAID Assistant to fix it but no matter how many times I tried, the assistant page dont pop up.

Any method to manually get into it? Thanks

Edit: fixes below