How fast is the MBL supposed to be?

I just got my MBL 3 TB device yesterday and like the functionality of the device, but I’m not sure that it’s going as fast as it should. It takes about 20 minutes to transfer a 4 GB file, is that the expected transfer speed for this device. 

I read a few threads with people having problems with mbl using webdav instead of smb for transfer, how do I check and correct that?

it’s running, stop the WebClient service on your computer and see what happens.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean, what is running? webdav?

Open a “CMD” window and issue the command 

“net use”

And post the results.

I get, usually, 240 megabits per second to / from my MBL.   That’s with both endpoints WIRED.

If yuour computer is connecting to the MBL through WebDAV then everythign is going through the MyBook Live’s web server (what is also used for the Dashboard and WG2GO) and this method of access is not fast.

Normally all connections should go through the Samba service operating within the MyBook Live which is designed for everything to do with file sharing. The Samba Service is quick.

Your drive mappings should look lijt this . . .

> net use
New connections will not be remembered.

Status Local Remote Network

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK Z: \\MyBookLive\Public Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

Specifically the network needs to be **Microsoft Windows Network**. Anything different will mean it’s a slow connection to the MyBook Live.

That is what it says when I run that command, so I guess I’m ok :slight_smile:

I get a transfer rate to the MBL of 3 MB/second to 5 MB/second.

What is the make and model of your router. Does your router have a gigabit switch built into it.

It’s a Sagem Router 3564 F@st vdsl

It’s a piece of ■■■■.

So it’s a router 10/100Mbps router switch?

1. Change the router to one that supports gigabit speeds.
  2. Buy a gigabit switch and connect the computer, NAS and router to the gigabit switch. Don’t use the router’s 10/100Mbit switch.

Got a new router through my tv provider, still not a gigabit router. The upload speed went up to around 7 MB/sec though :slight_smile:

How big a difference does a WIRED connection make, versus WiFi?

I’m copying roughly 1 terabyte of data from a soon-to-be retired PC to the MyBook Live. And its taking more time than I thought it would. Roughly 50 minutes for a 4gB file. And something like three days for the whole shootin’ match.

Is it worth the trouble to make a physical CAT connection between the old PC and my router? How much faster are WIRED connections versus WiFi for big file transfer jobs? I’ve got a Cisco Wireless G router.

Thanks!

Wired 100 versus 802.11g?   At least 3X faster, probably more.

On my old router it took 20 minutes for 4 GB. New router takes 10 minutes for 4 GB, so I’m happy now. This is wireless upload.

Fairly big difference.  Make sure it’s Gigabit from PC to Mybook Live. Including the router. Put it another way…   When I do video editing I use the MyBook Live as the workspace.  Last video file I was working with was a bit over 23 Gigabytes in size and everything ran sweet.  :smiley:

vrDrew wrote:

How big a difference does a WIRED connection make, versus WiFi?

I’m copying roughly 1 terabyte of data from a soon-to-be retired PC to the MyBook Live. And its taking more time than I thought it would. Roughly 50 minutes for a 4gB file. And something like three days for the whole shootin’ match.

Is it worth the trouble to make a physical CAT connection between the old PC and my router? How much faster are WIRED connections versus WiFi for big file transfer jobs? I’ve got a Cisco Wireless G router.

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips!

Seeing a HUGE difference in transfer speed now - almost a gigabyte a minute, versus ~ about 200 meg/minute. And surprisingly easy to hook up, at least once I’d found the 30’ CAT-5 cable I needed…

This will mean the difference between retiring the old PC this week - as opposed to having it grinding away for the next month.