How does Relay Mode work?

Hey,

I just connected a WDMYCloud NAS to a small office. In this office theres only one cable for Internet so i can not configure any router. Its part of a big network.

I cant open any ports or configure any firewall, so my thought was that the WD NAS cant communicate with extern network computers.

But it was simple. NAS went into Bridge mode, i installed the Software to connect on a Notebook within a complete different network, i logged in with my account data created on the nas and it works!

So heres my question:

How does this bridge mode work? I havent open any ports so how can Computers within other networks connect at all?

When i log in the connection goes to the WD Servers, i suppose they act like a DDNS Server: the NAS sends the actual IP to the WD Servers and connect it with my account.

But how can the NAS even send anything? I havent open any ports, and i am sure that the whole office complex is secured by professional admins. 

Would be nice to now this when i set up other WDmyclouds in other offices.

garack wrote:

Hey,

I just connected a WDMYCloud NAS to a small office. In this office theres only one cable for Internet so i can not configure any router. Its part of a big network.

I cant open any ports or configure any firewall, so my thought was that the WD NAS cant communicate with extern network computers.

But it was simple. NAS went into Bridge mode, i installed the Software to connect on a Notebook within a complete different network, i logged in with my account data created on the nas and it works!

So heres my question:

How does this bridge mode work? I havent open any ports so how can Computers within other networks connect at all?

When i log in the connection goes to the WD Servers, i suppose they act like a DDNS Server: the NAS sends the actual IP to the WD Servers and connect it with my account.

But how can the NAS even send anything? I havent open any ports, and i am sure that the whole office complex is secured by professional admins. 

Would be nice to now this when i set up other WDmyclouds in other offices.

It’s called Relay Mode, not bridge mode.  The My Cloud creates a Relay VPN through WD’s servers.  So your client software is connected to WD’s servers which are connected to your NAS.

How is this possible without open ports?

Open ports aren’t necessary when something inside your network connects to something outside your network, which is what the WD My Cloud is doing when in Relay mode.