How does My Book Live work?

Quick question. I’ve been meaning to get a My Book Live for over a year now and always had a nagging question that I couldn’t find an answer to. Now that I’m seeing lots of sales on them I’ve suddenly have an interest again, but would like to know:

Does my connected computer have to be running to use the cloud features of My Book Live like other externals that shutdown when my computer shutsdown or will it still run whithout my computer running all day since it does have it’s own external power source?

I won’t shut down with the computer, it will run all day long:)

Gameplay4fun wrote:
Quick question. I’ve been meaning to get a My Book Live for over a year now and always had a nagging question that I couldn’t find an answer to. Now that I’m seeing lots of sales on them I’ve suddenly have an interest again, but would like to know:

Does my connected computer have to be running to use the cloud features of My Book Live like other externals that shutdown when my computer shutsdown or will it still run whithout my computer running all day since it does have it’s own external power source?

If it’s connected directly to an internet-connected router, then no, no other computer on the home network needs to be powered up.

NAS devices do not depent on computers, I have a feeling you are comparing them to USB drives.

NAS will depend on a computer, only if that computer is the DHCP server for your network, which most people do not, and if you do, the DHCP server is 99% of the time running.

But still, NAS devices connect to a router or switch, for the most part.