How do we officially revert to firmware 1.02.06?

Quite simple question:

Is WD offering an official tool to revert back to firmware 1.02.06?

butter wrote:

Quite simple question:

Is WD offering an official tool to revert back to firmware 1.02.06?

Quite simple answer:

No. (at least as far as I am aware… nothing mentioned about it in the KB)

Oh I forgot that we were talking about WD. So let’s pull the new firmware because it clearly does not work and let the users that have already installed it go and flip themselves…

butter wrote:

Oh I forgot that we were talking about WD. So let’s pull the new firmware because it clearly does not work and let the users that have already installed it go and flip themselves…

Oh I forgot- they are spending their time actually fixing the issue instead of providing temporary work-arounds like most other companies would. I’d actually be upset if they released a “revert” patch because that would mean they were spending their time working on that instead.

1 Like

Well we are halfway to being able to revert officially to firmware 1.02.06.

As version 1.02.10 has been pulled from WD website, you can download firmware version 1.02.06 direct from WD without any licensing or copyright issues. The only tricky bit is that you need to manually adjust one config file to “trick” WD MyBook into allowing you to revert your firmware. I am sure that WD support would be happy to talk users through this or perhaps do it over remote access - either way making the whole thing official.

Now if the 1.02.06 firmware were to be re-released as version 1.02.11 then this step could be avoided. If WD wished to do this then they would probably make it available through WD Support to prevent users unnecessarily “upgrading” from 1.02.06 to version 1.02.11.

Ardvark, in case you were hiding all this time (highly doubt that!), FWIW, the damage has already been done. I, for one, will wait for more than 1 user to test the upcoming release for me before me jumping the ship.

SarahArcher, yes I’ve done that but I wouldn’t encourage anyone to do the downgrade. Just because the device hasn’t been physically damaged, it doesn’t mean it’s safe to do it. Just let’s wait for the new version. it will either fix the issue or we can officially bug them even more! :wink:

Bourne wrote:

Ardvark, in case you were hiding all this time (highly doubt that!), FWIW, the damage has already been done. I, for one, will wait for more than 1 user to test the upcoming release for me before me jumping the ship.

Hiding? I’m here all the time…I try to post a few times a day. Back when I was a grasshopper, forums like this were how I learned all that I know. Since I’m something of an expert on hard drives (I used to have a sever business before the depression, and still maintain a rather large number of systems for various clients) I like to post here (and several other similar forums) whenever I can to “return the favor” . Really I just like helping people, but don’t tell anyone that ;-) 

I don’t blame you for waiting- I really need to start doing the same- sometimes bad firmware gets released. Right now i’m waiting on a major firmware release for like 8 different products I own (A Kodak digital picture frame, my old creative mp3 player, and a bunch of other stuff) - most of which “broke” because of bad firmware - actually its more common for a f/w update to cause problems these days than fix it imho.

@Bourne - well now that I have access to a known good copy of the firmware (v 1.02.06) without any legal issues I have gone ahead and downgraded. I am an IT professional and use Linux in my day job so very comfortable with ssh - but for someone not in that position - I would recommend working with WD Support.

I am using Lion so found out that there is an additional step. As mentioned in one of the other threads you need to delete or rename (as I did) the .AppleDB files. My guess is that the new version of AFP included in (v 1.02.10) converts the AppleDB file to a format incompatible with the version included with (v 1.02.06).

Therefore, my suggestion (that has previously been suggested by other people) of creating a new firmware (v 1.02.11) which is identical to v 1.02.06 but with a higher version number will not provide an automatic safe downgrade for Apple Mac users. The installation script would need to be adjusted to take care of this issue and any other compatibility issues. And hence the downgrade firmware would need to be heavily tested itself…

Anyway, everything that I expected to work is now working correctly. Time Machine of course does not work with 1.02.06 and Lion. And I don’t feel comfortable apply the community patch for Netatalk so will be waiting for the next official firmware.

Could the downgrade be accomplished by simply renaming the 1.02.06 firmware to 1.02.11 and then do a manual upgrade? How would the NAS handle this?? Just asking…

Hi

WD did actually do the downgrade for me, please see my post in ‘Notice (9/30/11) - WD Still Working on Firmware Update for My Book Worl’

fpardi wrote:

Could the downgrade be accomplished by simply renaming the 1.02.06 firmware to 1.02.11 and then do a manual upgrade? How would the NAS handle this?? Just asking…

Short answer: No. :slight_smile:

Please wait for the official release from WD.

SarahArcher wrote:

@Bourne - well now that I have access to a known good copy of the firmware (v 1.02.06) without any legal issues I have gone ahead and downgraded. I am an IT professional and use Linux in my day job so very comfortable with ssh - but for someone not in that position - I would recommend working with WD Support.

I am using Lion so found out that there is an additional step. As mentioned in one of the other threads you need to delete or rename (as I did) the .AppleDB files. My guess is that the new version of AFP included in (v 1.02.10) converts the AppleDB file to a format incompatible with the version included with (v 1.02.06).

Therefore, my suggestion (that has previously been suggested by other people) of creating a new firmware (v 1.02.11) which is identical to v 1.02.06 but with a higher version number will not provide an automatic safe downgrade for Apple Mac users. The installation script would need to be adjusted to take care of this issue and any other compatibility issues. And hence the downgrade firmware would need to be heavily tested itself…

Anyway, everything that I expected to work is now working correctly. Time Machine of course does not work with 1.02.06 and Lion. And I don’t feel comfortable apply the community patch for Netatalk so will be waiting for the next official firmware.

Although the old version up on WD site is legal and official, WD does not support that.

Yes, removing .AppleDB files (as well as a few others) was posted by me :slight_smile: and I have no IT skill what-so-ever just a lucky guess :stuck_out_tongue:

But, I got it all working legally and officially with now retired 1.02.10 including TimeMachine :stuck_out_tongue:

I also fixed my boss’ NAS and hopefully she’ll give me some raise soon :smileyvery-happy:

Ardvark, yes I see that you’re trying to help and I am sure everyone appreciates your time and effort here.

However, IMHO, sometimes we should remember that end-users can become frustrated and our quick responses defending the vendor could push them run away and never spend their hard working $$ on WD products ever again. :wink:

Bourne wrote:

[snip] and I am sure everyone appreciates your time and effort here.[/snip]

I for one won’t speak for everyone here but just so you know: I don’t at all appreciate all those abhorrently annoying fanboi posts ranting on about how awesome WD is, how swell of them it is to actually work for their money, and how silly everyone here is for expecting a working fix, an ETA, a sincere apologee, or some informative communication.

From my personal point of view I bought a product from a company that went on to brick my device by releasing an official firmware update that causes dramatic problems (i.e. making the device completely inaccessible over the network, which is a “bit of a nuisance” for a NAS). Then having the audacity to claim that the plethora of posts streaming in here complaining about that very problem on this forum alone (often by people who actually registered specifically for the purpose of reporting the same problem) were a non-representative group of exceptions who mysteriously uncovered a problem the “thorough testing” (remember?? That was the reason why the initial release took so long!?) didn’t catch. The overall tone from their official “community representatives” was completely non-apologetic. They can’t be bothered to release an ETA. They do not provide users with a way to officially downgrade the firmware again even after they pulled the latest release, thus officially accepting the bugginess of it!

So, no, I do not appreciate the useless rants that still defend this “mighty fine” company. I most likely am a lot more annoyed by those than you are by mine and other people’s posts complaining about the general state of affairs here atm.

…and it occured to me

get putty

ssh to the nas by ip (btw youre stupid if you use dhcp with it), login is root, password is welc0me (by default)

echo 01.02.04 > /etc/version

run 06 again MANUALLY

its best most of you start learning a bit of linux because its very helpful in situations like this. if you have high-end quad core machines, or even a dual-core from like 4 to 6 years ago, you can easily install a vm like virtualbox and install ubuntu 8.04 (before gnome turned ugly) since it supports software raid.

and ofcourse, at your own risk, simply downgrading wont wipe out anything. probably a couple of settings which happens every time you upgrade anyway. good luck.

i downgraded to 02.06, everithing seems ok, but when i click from my mac to the mybookworld icon, the connection fails.

this is the log.

plz help!

10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.info afpd[3496]: server_child[1] 9873 exited 1

10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.info afpd[3496]: server_child[1] 9875 done
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.info afpd[9875]: 0.37KB read, 0.31KB written
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.info afpd[9875]: logout Carlo
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: Fatal error: cannot open CNID or invalid CNID backend for /DataVolume/Public: cdb
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: Cannot open CNID db at [/DataVolume/Public].
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: cnid_open: dbenv->open of /DataVolume/Public/.AppleDB failed: Invalid argument
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: cnid_open: dbenv->open (rw) of /DataVolume/Public/.AppleDB failed: Invalid argument
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.info afpd[9875]: Setting uid/gid to 0/1000
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.warn afpd[9875]: Warning: No CNID scheme for volume /DataVolume/Public. Using default.
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: Fatal error: cannot open CNID or invalid CNID backend for /DataVolume/Download: cdb
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: Cannot open CNID db at [/DataVolume/Download].
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: cnid_open: dbenv->open of /DataVolume/Download/.AppleDB failed: Invalid argument
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: cnid_open: dbenv->open (rw) of /DataVolume/Download/.AppleDB failed: Invalid argument
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.warn afpd[9875]: Warning: No CNID scheme for volume /DataVolume/Download. Using default.
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: Fatal error: cannot open CNID or invalid CNID backend for /DataVolume/Carlo: cdb
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: Cannot open CNID db at [/DataVolume/Carlo].
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: cnid_open: dbenv->open of /DataVolume/Carlo/.AppleDB failed: Invalid argument
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.err afpd[9875]: cnid_open: dbenv->open (rw) of /DataVolume/Carlo/.AppleDB failed: Invalid argument
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.info afpd[9875]: CNID DB initialized using Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3, 2003)
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.warn afpd[9875]: Warning: No CNID scheme for volume /DataVolume/Carlo. Using default.
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.debug afpd[9875]: ignoring unknown volume option: option:upriv,usedots
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.debug afpd[9875]: ignoring unknown volume option: option:upriv,usedots
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.info afpd[9875]: login Carlo (uid 506, gid 1000) AFP3.2
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.info afpd[9875]: dhx login: Carlo
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.info afpd[9875]: ASIP session:548(4) from 192.168.1.9:50251(7)
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.info afpd[3496]: server_child[1] 9874 done
 10/01 17:59:02  MyBookWorld daemon.info afpd[9874]: ASIP session:548(4) from 192.168.1.9:50250(7)

well i got you as far as going back, whats wrong with using smb? mac == smh.

@BigSeA that looks like the .AppleDB file issue I mentioned in a previous post. You can try deleting them, renaming them or moving them (at your own risk), which I did via ssh. Alternatively you should be able to create NFS shares and connect via NFS, but this is not something that I have tested after a downgrade.

BigSeA >  http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/ATTENTION-gt-1-02-10-Firmware-Users/td-p/261904/page/2

Check out message #14!

FWIW, there is no risk deleting those files (.AppleDB or .AppleDouble OR anything starts with .AppleD*). They will be recreated (by design). In any case, get rid of them.

You already took the risk of downgrading the firmware even though WD says not to! :wink: