How do I use WD My Book Live Duo after WDC-21008 attack?

Over the weekend, I bought a raspberry pi4b, installed openmediavault and emby media server… Connected a (Seagate) 2TB external hard drive via usb3 and I have a full fledged NAS in place. The MBL will be turned off shortly for good. The whole thing cost me less than $100 (I already had the ext hdd, so it was just the cost of the rpi at eighty bucks).

I plan to harvest the 2 x 3TB drives in the MBL into a cheap JBOD enclosure and use it with the NAS.

I thought of buying the Synology DS220+ at first but decided vendor lock-in is just bad. With the rpi, I have full control over all the pieces of the puzzle and if a particular piece of software goes dormant I can move to another. We have to see how this works.

Oh, btw, I put the rpi4 into an “no internet” cage via my routers parental controls feature. I will only enable it briefly whenever I need to update software. Otherwise there is absolutely zero reasons for any internet traffic to go in or out of the rpi. Upnp on the router has been turned off as well.

I don’t plan on buying any WD products in the future.

1 Like