How do I transfer all content from one My Cloud EX2 Ultra to another?

Greetings,

I am getting a replacement My Cloud EX2 Ultra because my original one is defective. I opted for Advanced RMA so that I can safe my data before returning the original one.
Once I receive the replacement, what’s the best way to transfer ALL data from the old machine to the new one, before formatting the drives in the original machine prior to returning it?

Thank you.

Simply reseat the drives in the same order. I believe it’s called Volume Roaming.

Do you mean put the old drives in the new machine? I don’t want to do that. What if there is something screwed up with the software that is causing the issues with the original one? I just want to transfer the content, not the OS or anything else.

Any other idea?

You asked for the best way and imo you got it.

Anyway… you could describe how defective your unit is and which volume config you’ve used.
If it doesn’t boot, you need another linux based enclosure able to run 2 disks with mdadm.
Then pump over your data with rsync to an NFS / SMB share.
But this may take a few days.

The problem with the current unit is that if “goes to sleep” (yes, Sleep mode is OFF) and the only solution is hard reboot via unplugging it from the power, which of course defeats the purpose of having a reliable NAS.
Neither me nor WD know what the problem is, so a new unit is on the way, NAS + 2 disks. I don’t want to use the old drives because as I said - the problem could be in the OS, so by using the old drives in the new NAS I am possibly keeping the problem, just moving it from one NAS to another. I want to use the new unit as “brand new” and just transfer my data from the old one to the new one.

If you don’t want to use the “volume roaming”, or any form of data restoration. . . .I would then opt for brute force. . . . . open a Windows File Explorer and do the old “drag and drop”. You will need to leave the computer on for the transfer.

PS: Take this opportunity to make a backup to a third independent device :wink:

Thank you. This is what I ended up doing but now I am facing another, bigger problem which is in this thread - Seems to be missing files after transfer from old NAS

As I mentioned in the other thread. . . .after transfer you want to run a comparison using a folder comparison/synchronization tool. Such a tool will compare size, date, name of each file and will quickly let you know if something got goobered up.