How do I make sure of the firmware version if I cannot access the drive?

Hi,
I have a My Cloud Ex2 Ultra and I am trying to upgrade it to the new operating system 5. It says I must be sure The firmware is at a minimum firmware. How do I check if I cannot access the drive?

Hi @JKH4710,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

CrystalDiskInfo will show you firmware information

this tool here is a must-have as well

download links for both tools:
CrystalDiskInfo 9.0.1a
USB Tree View

If you’re unable to access the drive directly to determine the firmware version, there are a few alternative methods you can try:

Check the device manufacturer’s documentation: The manufacturer’s documentation or support resources may provide information on how to determine the firmware version without accessing the drive directly. Look for instructions specific to your device model or contact the manufacturer’s support for assistance.

Check the BIOS or UEFI settings: Restart your computer and access the BIOS or UEFI settings. Depending on your computer’s manufacturer and model, you can usually access the BIOS or UEFI settings by pressing a specific key during the boot process (e.g., F2, Del, Esc). Within the settings, look for a section that displays system information, which might include the firmware version.

Use system information tools: Your operating system might provide system information tools that can display firmware information. Here’s how you can access them:

On Windows: Open the “System Information” tool by pressing Windows key + R, typing “msinfo32” (without quotes), and pressing Enter. Look for the firmware version under the “BIOS Version/Date” field.
On macOS: Go to the Apple menu, select “About This Mac,” and click on “System Report.” Look for the firmware version under “Hardware” > “Boot ROM Version” or “SMC Version.”
Consult specialized software: Some third-party software applications can provide detailed system information, including firmware versions. Examples include CPU-Z, HWiNFO, or Speccy. These tools can display information about various hardware components, including the firmware.